Change of heart for powertrain: Thinking aluminum head 9.5:1 4.1 EFI V-6

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
I'd be interested in doing something with a 3800, or massaging the existing engine to get a little more power. I know the 3800s were way more common in FWD models than RWD models. Are there any major differences between the FWD and RWD 3800s, aside from the usual (intake/exhaust manifolds, serpentine drive, etc.) that would prevent me from using a FWD 3800 core and adapting it for RWD? Honestly, the performance level of an out-of-the-box Series II would probably get me to about where I want to be.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The long blocks are the same regardless of drive wheels. Supercharged and NA engines are different inside and out. You can get a Holden intake elbow for the SC version, but will probably need hydroboost or manual brakes.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I'd be interested in doing something with a 3800, or massaging the existing engine to get a little more power.
The advantage of doing something with your current engine is it will visually look the same and you already have all of your emissions in place that make it legal.
I personally would get an E-Rod engine and just have to settle for the measly 430 horsepower.

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
This is going to sound harsh but...

WTF did you think specialized labour and parts were going to cost? Everything you've fantasized about for the last year or two is pie-in-the-sky make-believe BS. You are drinking the Kool-Aid on whatever the media is selling you. The only way you are going to achieve any far fetched plan (and we all love a far fetched plan) is to roll up your sleeves and do the work yourself. Yes it is fun to bounce ideas off people and bench race - but, consider those of us who have completed complex builds. How many of us have canvassed the masses for their opinions verus just setting our respective goals, doing research, and getting on with it? None.

You are pissing into the wind here.

My advice is this:

1. Leave the car as is. Maintain it as you are able. And enjoy having a beautiful time capsule to a bygone era; and

2. Set up a savings account, fill it full of money, and buy someone else's "restomod" for pennies on the dollar. The bubble is going to burst on those soon to be outdated builds.

Respectfully, from what I've seen you don't have it in you (time, willingness, resources) to build the car you want.

So, no. Investing the time and money into a crappy 4.1L with EFI and aluminum heads is not a good plan. This car is cool, keep it cool, find something else to fart around and frustrate yourself with.
I've seen this quite often, both in person and online, where guys will talk endlessly about their plans for a build but never turn a wrench. They'd make much more progress if they would just get off the damn internet and go out to the garage and get to work.

Sure.......some planning and research is necessary.....but wrenching is where you really build your skill set, not sitting behind a keyboard.

Last edited:

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
This is going to sound harsh but...

WTF did you think specialized labour and parts were going to cost? Everything you've fantasized about for the last year or two is pie-in-the-sky make-believe BS. You are drinking the Kool-Aid on whatever the media is selling you. The only way you are going to achieve any far fetched plan (and we all love a far fetched plan) is to roll up your sleeves and do the work yourself. Yes it is fun to bounce ideas off people and bench race - but, consider those of us who have completed complex builds. How many of us have canvassed the masses for their opinions verus just setting our respective goals, doing research, and getting on with it? None.

You are pissing into the wind here.

My advice is this:

1. Leave the car as is. Maintain it as you are able. And enjoy having a beautiful time capsule to a bygone era; and

2. Set up a savings account, fill it full of money, and buy someone else's "restomod" for pennies on the dollar. The bubble is going to burst on those soon to be outdated builds.

Respectfully, from what I've seen you don't have it in you (time, willingness, resources) to build the car you want.

So, no. Investing the time and money into a crappy 4.1L with EFI and aluminum heads is not a good plan. This car is cool, keep it cool, find something else to fart around and frustrate yourself with.
I agree with this 100%. Can you use power adders? Can you legally use TBI Fuel injection? I would start with better gears like said many times. You will be surprised how much more fun that will make the car. Long term, maybe you could build a blow through setup with a Vortex blower or likes? My setup I am in it for like 4 grand, but was not exactly a simple swap. I am also a mechanic with lots of building experience. Baby steps man, baby steps. Good luck!

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Actually, here's my current school of thought...Yank out the current engine, and basically rebuild it with ported heads, a slightly more aggressive cam, 9-9.5:1 pistons, and a TBI system. No change in displacement. I'm hoping that should get me to around 230 crank horse, if done right, which should put me in the 180-200 rwhp ballpark. Also might take the opportunity to change out to a 200-4R trans. Aside from the FI system, want to avoid finicky electronics as much as possible.

Nov 4, 2012
Your first step should be to move the flying **** out of California.

• Winner
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Here's the formula I'm looking at:

Edelbrock 5486 manifold
Edelbrock 5487 cam & lifter kit
Affordable Fuel Injection EFI system
Weber Performance ported iron heads
200-4R trans

Debating about the higher-comp pistons. Some guys say "don't waste your time" others say they'll make a noticeable difference. If I can get to about 180 rwhp and 210 lb-ft, I'd be happy. Just want to be less of a rolling road hazard when I'm driving.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I have a FWD l67 bolted to a 4l60e out of a 4th gen fbird in said 97 fbird. Ran a best of 12.60 with a mild cam, headers, and boost on e85, gets 26mpg on gas highway.

You need a RWD engine basically to convert a FWD to RWD. Oil pan and pickup tube, oil filter adapter, wiring harness, flywheel, manifolds, intake, ect. Plus the trans so its best to buy just a running firebird/camaro

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor