Cheapest way to get posi

Status
Not open for further replies.

richp85elco

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Long Beach, CA
pulling the cover off is your best bet to find out, you never know what has been swapped in over the years. if you turn the wheels the should both spin the same way if they spin opposite then try to spin it from the drive shaft to make sure. If they still dont then theres no posi.. if you look in only g bodies thats a sure way, unless its a 442 or GN, to know your getting a 26 spline unit. when you start looking at camaros/ firebirds some are 26 and some are 28, dont remember what years they switched.

richp85elco

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Long Beach, CA
Also I agree with the guy above, you can ruin the unit in no time if it is not properly set up. if your set on doing it yourself make sure you count the threads on the pinion nut before you remove it from the donor car so you can get the pinion depth as close as possible. I would also make sure to grab the bearings, shims, and keep them in order when you take unit out so when you put them in yours the backlash would ok.

Crapple21

Greasemonkey
Apr 16, 2011
Washington
Okay thanks for the info my hunt will begin and I'd think id have someone put it in for me it sounds like a lot of work to put one in.

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
Crapple21 said:
Hey I was wondering what's the cheapest way for me to get posi for my el camino? Can I swap a posi out of like a camaro or something with a 7.5 that has posi? I thought I read something awhile back about this but can't find the thread.
what do you consider cheap? what type of hp tq are you working with? are you talking track time, with your el co, or street cruise type stuff? what size wheel and tire combo are you going to be running when all said and done? and what final gear ratio are you shooting for?

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
also when you put a donor posi unit into your housing, you will prob want to use your EXISTING shims, etc, the way that it is setup with your current differential, use a new crush sleeve, and use new bearings.

here is the thing, youll want to have the bearing pressed off your current stock pinion gear, take that stock shim... have the bearing pressed off the donor pinion gear... put the STOCK SHIM back on it, from your current stock pinion gear on and have a new bearing pressed back on.

if your current stock setup's backlash is set properly, doing it this way will get you close if not, set up right, when you do your swap. after all said and done, you will want to double check the backlash with gear marking compound and its all fairly easy to do... with time, research and patience, you will be alright and can do this for a reasonable overall price.

Crapple21

Greasemonkey
Apr 16, 2011
Washington
My car is completely stock engine wise besides a Holley carb and my car is a daily driver so I want gears the doesn't affect my gas milage. I just want a posi so I can have a little more fun when it rains lol I don't know how much I want to spend not a lot I'm just a college student with not a whole lot of extra money to spend. And I have 17x8 torque thrust wheels. I'm leaning more toward having a shop put it in for me I don't know if I want to mess anything up

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
look around, if you are not in a hurry and can just hold off, save some money, find a reputable place to do the setup and just buy a new unit and gears for everyday cruising a little playing, with your wheels, etc. you should be fine with 26 spline axles... 3.73 gears are a nice set of in between gears, for street/highway use... honestly a friend may have a low mileage posi unit for sale, ill ask him later today when everyone else on this side of the country wakes up and let you know if he will sale it. cause if he has it, it will go for cheap, he bought it new, used it for a little, before upgrading again to a 28 spline unit

robhowardiii

Apprentice
Mar 6, 2012
Crapple21 said:
Okay thanks for the info my hunt will begin and I'd think id have someone put it in for me it sounds like a lot of work to put one in.

It is a real easy rear to swap. 4 control ARM bolts, 2 shock bolts, u joint, brake hose, and ebrake cables. The ebrake cables are the worst part. I don't run ebrake and I can have mine out and back in in just under 2 hours. That's me on my back in a dirt floor garage. You can do it.

Crapple21

Greasemonkey
Apr 16, 2011
Washington
LSCustoms said:
look around, if you are not in a hurry and can just hold off, save some money, find a reputable place to do the setup and just buy a new unit and gears for everyday cruising a little playing, with your wheels, etc. you should be fine with 26 spline axles... 3.73 gears are a nice set of in between gears, for street/highway use... honestly a friend may have a low mileage posi unit for sale, ill ask him later today when everyone else on this side of the country wakes up and let you know if he will sale it. cause if he has it, it will go for cheap, he bought it new, used it for a little, before upgrading again to a 28 spline unit
Okay thanks! Let me know what he says thanks for the gel and info

Crapple21

Greasemonkey
Apr 16, 2011
Washington
robhowardiii said:
Crapple21 said:

It is a real easy rear to swap. 4 control ARM bolts, 2 shock bolts, u joint, brake hose, and ebrake cables. The ebrake cables are the worst part. I don't run ebrake and I can have mine out and back in in just under 2 hours. That's me on my back in a dirt floor garage. You can do it.

If I get a whole rear end that's what I'll probably end up doing but if I cant find a whole rear end I don't know if I want to put in the gears and posi in it with no experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor