Cheapest way to get posi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crapple21

Greasemonkey
Apr 16, 2011
Washington
okay ill ask if he hasnt sold it already he hasnt responded to me but he might be out of town with it being memorial day weekend. thanks for the info and was there a specific gbody that came with a posi more then others besides the gn, 442, ttype, or monte carlo ss or is it just hit and miss?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
It's not even a guarantee in those models. And even in the ones that should have them, they may have been pirated.I've found them in lame-o Grandma cars but they usually had Granny gears too. At least in a sporty model you 'may' get a good ratio. But it's worth looking around, since by the time you buy a set of gears, a posi carrier, and have a competent shop set it up, you could have bought a great rear complete for far less. It's a lost skill setting up a rear, and worth knowing, but it must be done RIGHT or carnage will result.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
What gears are in there now? I have a 2:78 posi and I cruise at 2000 rpm at 55 mph. I think 3:08 and 3:23 are good ratios, not bad on the highway, yet peppy on the street.

robhowardiii

Apprentice
Mar 6, 2012
I have 308s on a 225-60-16 tire and I am glad I didn't go any lower (higher number) I drive 65-75 mph and I am usually around 3 grand. I have to get a better radiator just from going with 308s I used to run around 160 now I an around 180-190 on the highway. I wouldn't go over a 3.42 if you have a 3 speed and hit any highways.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
With that pic I'd say no, because I can't see the clutches or spring/s. And on second look, it's a non-posi case, wrong shape for a posi. See the lip of the ring gear where it bolts to the carrier flange? The tooth counts should be stamped on that ring. Here is a picture of a posi case. Much different than what you are showing. Smells fishy to me.
140-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor