Cheapest way to get posi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Smart man. Don't mess with the rear if you are not educated on it and have the tools needed. MUCH easier finding a whole rear as well as cheaper in the long run.

thedoctorisin

Greasemonkey
Nov 25, 2009
East Bay Area, S.F. Ca.
I got one from a 84 trans am in the junk yard for 35$. The ring gear has reverse threads, but purr than that its pretty straight forward to do.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
"I just don't want to mess anything up because I have never messed with a rear end but I guess there is only one way to learn :shock:" Do yourself a favor. Go find a factory manual and read the section on differentials. THEN see if you want to tackle it. I dare you! :shock:

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
You can normally tell if its limited slip by spinning one axle and watching the other one. If the other one spins in the same direction its limited slip, if it spins in the opposite direction or doesnt spin at all its obvious an open dif. You could also pull the diff cover off and check that way. What year monte and is it an SS or LS??? I found a limited slip from an 86 SS with 3.73s for $100 :D

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
First find out what year he thinks it is, and ratio, then look up what the codes should be. When you go to look at it bring a wire brush or sandpaper. There should be a code on the axle tubing on the pass side facing forward a bit closer to the brakes than the center. But as suggested the best way is to bring a socket wrench and remove the cover and look for yourself. A posi is immediately recognizable and the gear tooth numbers will be stamped into the edge of the ring gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor