Control arm cross shaft replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
I am going to do full rebuild of the front suspension on my 81 wagon. I already have the energy suspension sway bar links. I will be doing full pro-forged steering parts. I plan to do all energy suspension poly arm bushings. Should i go with the moog cross shaft or global west cross shafts on the upper a-arms? Not sure if the global west shafts are worth the investment for what they provide over a stock replacement piece

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
There are other choices besides Global West. No matter what brand you choose, go with one that offers an offset - like the Moog Problem Solvers. More negative camber improves handling, especially when using lowering springs.

If you think you will further upgrade your suspension later, save your pennies and go with the cheaper alternative now. Moogs and urethane bushings on stock arms will be saleable later for someone who has 35-year-old OEM bits rattling away under their car.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you think you will further upgrade your suspension later, save your pennies and go with the cheaper alternative now. Moogs and urethane bushings on stock arms will be saleable later for someone who has 35-year-old OEM bits rattling away under their car.

I agree with you but when using urethane bushings the shaft needs to be smooth or the bushings will wear our prematurely. The original shafts usually have rust damage on the shaft under the OEM bushings.

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
I agree with you but when using urethane bushings the shaft needs to be smooth or the bushings will wear our prematurely. The original shafts usually have rust damage on the shaft under the OEM bushings.
i may upgrade the arms to tubular further down the line. the moogs are 33 bucks each. the globals are 69 bucks each. i was just curious if the global shafts were worth double the price or if the benefits are no different then moogs with offset . everything on my front suspension is at 98,000 thousand miles and original. it is all pretty tired.i will be doing new bolts and all. next is to figure out exactly how i want to lower it verses cost.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Need to remember that on many 30+ year old cars lowering springs do not make the car lower than the worn-out/sagging OE springs already in it. These cars rode fairly high when new, and most are pretty low by this time.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
I had the global west cross shaft on the stock control arms I had. I can't comment on use since I got umi control arms before driving with them but the global west shafts are solid looking and feel solid.

The factory shafts look cheap compared to the global west ones. They allow a bit more adjustability for alignment.

I'f you're on a tight budget or just want to save a few bucks. I would use them.

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
Need to remember that on many 30+ year old cars lowering springs do not make the car lower than the worn-out/sagging OE springs already in it. These cars rode fairly high when new, and most are pretty low by this time.
my car defenitly is not suffering from the sagging issues . rear springs are about 1 year old and are direct replacement wagon cargo springs. front sits too high compared to the rear
11221501_1068717803156378_4101988869374513032_o.jpg

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Gotcha!

See a lot of threads where people are disappointed when they replace the originals with lowering springs that result in same ride height.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor