Corvette roll

Status
Not open for further replies.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
First let me say I've never had a fast car before, at least not this fast. I'm liking this car a lot (2.14 rear). Was driving into town today and a c6 corvette pulled up next to me going about 50mph, I guess he thought I was revving at him but I was just stepping on the throttle a little to keep my speed. So he surges a few times, then drops his clutch and I was ready with second gear in the th350.

Shoved it in second and he takes off a few lengths, and wait...wait...wait... 2000, 3000,4000rpm and then here comes the power and I come crawling up on him, and would've easily overtaken him as I pulled a nose in front at about 5000rpm, it will tach to 6000-6500 and he wouldve had to shift. He let off but not before I was pulling on him real good. FUN FUN FUN :lol: Then he slowed waayy down behind me. There was no one else on the road it was about 12:30, we didn't race again he was laughing and I was pulling into the harware store.

... on one of the calculators thats about 110-120mph, I don't have a speedo :shock:

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I bet that corvette dude was shittin a brick when he seen a gbody closing in! I have a 2.29 (or worse) rear in my car and I also dont have a spedo but my buddy has a video of me walking by his truck as it was pegged out at 120mph. Il be losing all that with the 3.73s but il take that trade off anyday.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
He was laughing more than anything, a lot of people tend to laugh or stare at the car, they don't know what to think its like an explosion of wtf hitting them.

The 2.14's are the weirdest feeling with some power, I don't like it but I do. I have a XE282 (hyd roller) from comp cams the powerband is pretty high. It's not like a turbo or a front mount supercharger feeling where theres a lag, it's has response and a little torque but its doggy under 2500-3000 can't explain it ...it has enough power to roast the tires at that rpm in 2nd but doesn't feel very fast. Its gradual and unassuming at first (if you don't have ears), and then when the power comes on you're flat haulin *ss and didn't know how you got to that point, and for a good while without shifting, so weird, so fun, will be keeping these 2.14 gears for sure. I love my hodgepodge pos!!!... estimate weight of the car is around 3000-3100lbs

I would've been raped if it was a c6 Z06, he would've taken off and never looked back. The vette really got a jump on me I could hear his tires just digging in when he dumped the clutch. Now I need to make it street legal so it doesn't get impounded for doing this :(

83 montes- keep the high rear gear, how fun is this... I've had rides in fast turbo cars and geared dragsters but nothing like this it pisses me off and then makes me smile.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
custom442 said:
83 montes- keep the high rear gear, how fun is this... I've had rides in fast turbo cars and geared dragsters but nothing like this it pisses me off and then makes me smile.
I like the high gear for mileage but when it comes to performance im all about torque! I would take torque over horsepower any day and the 400 is a torque engine anyway so I think by throwing in the 3.73s il take advantage of the engine more.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
-83MONTESS- said:
I like the high gear for mileage but when it comes to performance im all about torque! I would take torque over horsepower any day and the 400 is a torque engine anyway so I think by throwing in the 3.73s il take advantage of the engine more.

It's fun going fast quickly, but going fast at high speeds has its merit too. Highway gears are just so fun, have had two vehicles geared real low and its okay but gets old. I drive 70-80% highway so 1500rpms is going to be real nice (need a new low stall torque converter though). I really like the super high gears, not as much worry about breaking parts. But then my car is pretty friggin light so it works.

Do you plan on taking it to the track? There's no way even with all the tire and suspension on earth I could hook up with 3.73's below 50mph on the street. 383's have torque too, my estimate is somewhere between 450-500 don't know where in the powerband though have to wait all day for it :lol:

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
custom442 said:
Do you plan on taking it to the track? There's no way even with all the tire and suspension on earth I could hook up with 3.73's below 50mph on the street. 383's have torque too, my estimate is somewhere between 450-500 don't know where in the powerband though have to wait all day for it :lol:
Il be taking it to the track every now and then but not much. I like the top end but with a 3 speed and a not so high revving engine that the 400 is im going for low end. Im not too worried about mileage anymore because im in the process of buying another daily driver so the monte will be just for fun. Il keep the rear I have now as a backup unless someone wants it. Just a 7.5" 2.29 or lower . . . not real desirable lol. Now when the Olds 455 is in il be looking for 3.08s or somethng around there but thats gonna be awhile and I want a 12 bolt for it not a damn 9 inch!

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
that's gunna be a fun car. Why do you want to switch to the 455, to keep it olds powered? the 400 has huge potential and you've already got it

edit: thanks mods it was in the wrong section, forgot about this little slice of heaven under tales

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
custom442 said:
that's gunna be a fun car. Why do you want to switch to the 455, to keep it olds powered? the 400 has huge potential and you've already got it

edit: thanks mods it was in the wrong section, forgot about this little slice of heaven under tales
The reason for the 455 is because I already have it (a 425 also), its bored .030 over already and im gonna need a project for engine building class. The 400 is great but come on its a 455 lol! I cant wait to see the look on my instructors face when everyone is bringing their V6s and rice sh*t in to class to work on and meanwhile il be unloading the 455!

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Highway gears can be a lot of fun. My first car was a V8 Monza with 2.29s and 26" tires. But maybe I'm getting old, because I don't really like top speeds that much anymore (they kind of freak me out), for me now it's the quick acceleration. 400+HP, 700r4, 4.11s, and 14.5" tires... yeah that should do it for me lol.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
-83MONTESS- said:

that's what I like about my 3.08's...still respectable acceleration and nice rpm's on the highway...at 75 I'm revving 2,000 in fifth with my 0.63 overdrive...with my tanny with the 0.73 od I'm at 2,400 at 75 mph

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor