Cutting frame in half and welding in a new section

Status
Not open for further replies.

83OldsCutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 19, 2014
i hear back and forth people saying they have done it and others saying to never attempt it. I just want to know if anyone here has done it. odds are im gonna attempt it so just wanna hear from people. my frame is solid from the front all the way back to the door jams, luckily enough I found a half a frame that goes from the door jams back and its spotless. when I weld it together im gonna do a lot of bracing on it and notch it and run cross braces between the rear frame rail. I just wanna know if anyone has done such a thing on here.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
we build a few chassis for race cars and repaired a few after slamming into a wall. I would never cut a chassis in half or weld it back together without it being set up on a jig.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

finkous

Greasemonkey
Sep 3, 2014
Edmonton, Alberta
done it a cpl times in the body shop, but never welded a straight cut, always staggered the weld at an angle, fish plated it afterwards, and always had them tied down on a frame machine... if its just a naked frame, a few jack stands placed in the right spots and some braces welded first to get it lined up properly and levelled off, should be fine

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
done it a cpl times in the body shop, but never welded a straight cut, always staggered the weld at an angle, fish plated it afterwards, and always had them tied down on a frame machine... if its just a naked frame, a few jack stands placed in the right spots and some braces welded first to get it lined up properly and levelled off, should be fine

and where are you going to find a perfectly flat floor for the jack stands

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Passing on some data found on the Forum.

Attachments

• malibuframe3A.jpg
    malibuframe3A.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 681
  • malibuframe2A.jpg
    malibuframe2A.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 596
  • malibuframe1A.jpg
    malibuframe1A.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 1,701
  • elcamino3A.jpg
    elcamino3A.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 1,359
  • elcamino2A.jpg
    elcamino2A.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 803
  • elcamino1A.jpg
    elcamino1A.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 1,250
Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Chances are there is some hidden rot in the front section of your frame. I would just do a complete frame swap.

chophead

Greasemonkey
Apr 25, 2015
pa hill billy hell
I agree with complete frame swap. I have done several full frame swaps on everything from vintage cars to f350 4x4 trucks due to wrecks. Now doing it for a paycheck is always better then having to do it because its your ride but if its a car you love then you just do it. Now a full frame swap means planning, help, tools and alot of them, space to work, money! Because you will want to replace the body bushings, motor mounts and trans mount, etc. Its always the little stuff that addes up. Can you get away with splicing it in? Maybe to sure ya can but its not for the faint of heart and imo a full frame swap is the best way to go if you are restoring it. either way requires work and planning but like anything if you are unsure find some experienced help.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I kinda agree w/ Pilot - You are going to spend a lot of time and effort vs another frame and the job will only be as good as that effort and your skills. On the other hand it can be done, it's like back halving a car and I have seen some pretty nasty jobs.
lou's pic's 025.jpg

83OldsCutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 19, 2014
Negating a full frame swap, if I can get a flat, straight surface, structurally can it be done? I'm good at welding and planning on doing some extra bracing.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Depends upon where you make the cuts. If you locate the cuts on the flimsy side channels that join the front and rear 'clips', you could further strengthen your joint by boxing these channels. You will end up with s stiffer chassis, though you'll have to relocate your brake and fuel lines. Search the Forum for 'boxing a frame'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor