Dad's 62 Ford Galaxie

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Looking good so far Jared. As far as the Dexcool is concerned, I think the main problem with it is corrosion. My wife's '03 Impala had Dexcool in it it's entire life and recently it started having an overheating problem. Her dad volunteered to fix it for her and I just didn't feel like messing with it so we let him take the car to work on it for a while. He said the radiator was full of gunk and when he flushed the block and heater core there was more gunk. The car also had an intake gasket leak but from what I've seen it's pretty normal for a 3400 to develop an intake gasket leak. I've put an intake gasket and 2 water pumps on the car since we've been together and that's been a little less than 4 years.

I've talked to a mechanic who used to work at GM dealerships and he told me that Dexcool was bad for causing corrosion and gunking up the coolant system. He told me the best thing to do with a car that had Dexcool in it was to flush it out really well and replace it with regular antifreeze. I trust his opinion on stuff like that. The wife's '15 Malibu has Dexcool in it as well and we're planning on replacing it in the near future.

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I also used to hear about Dexcool deteriorating gaskets, etc.. I had put Dexcool in my Malibu at one point, but after hearing about all the negative controversy, I switched back to the conventional green stuff. I didn't use it for too long.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I would probably go back to conventional coolant if it were mine.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Jared, does the pressure plate only use 3 fingers to release the clutch disk?

20180421_150016-2016x1512-jpg.87511

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
How did you guys get this picture of the car on the assembly line in 62

20180421_095016-2016x1512-jpg.87508

Thanks Steve! I'm sure Dad will appreciate your feedback and I definitely do. There has been so much nice work done to this car over the years. It will be really nice to 'finish' it, which I hope we will do in the next year. I hope we get very far to that goal over the summer. This project is where my head is over the summer. Dad's garage has A/C.

No fatigue, keep posting! Love the updates.

Thanks! Will do! I know I missed some other stuff Dad did since November. I'll get with him and post up what I overlooked. I'm really looking forward to getting back on it this weekend.

Looking good so far Jared. As far as the Dexcool is concerned, I think the main problem with it is corrosion. My wife's '03 Impala had Dexcool in it it's entire life and recently it started having an overheating problem. Her dad volunteered to fix it for her and I just didn't feel like messing with it so we let him take the car to work on it for a while. He said the radiator was full of gunk and when he flushed the block and heater core there was more gunk. The car also had an intake gasket leak but from what I've seen it's pretty normal for a 3400 to develop an intake gasket leak. I've put an intake gasket and 2 water pumps on the car since we've been together and that's been a little less than 4 years.

I've talked to a mechanic who used to work at GM dealerships and he told me that Dexcool was bad for causing corrosion and gunking up the coolant system. He told me the best thing to do with a car that had Dexcool in it was to flush it out really well and replace it with regular antifreeze. I trust his opinion on stuff like that. The wife's '15 Malibu has Dexcool in it as well and we're planning on replacing it in the near future.

Thanks Opie. What are you going to put in the '15 Malibu? Just the regular green coolant? I was thinking of recommending the yellow 'Global Fill' extended life antifreeze to Dad. It is OAT type as well though. I'm leaning towards recommending against Dexcool. I have more research to do.

I also used to hear about Dexcool deteriorating gaskets, etc.. I had put Dexcool in my Malibu at one point, but after hearing about all the negative controversy, I switched back to the conventional green stuff. I didn't use it for too long.

Thanks for chiming in Jack. There is a lot of dislike out there for Dexcool. Still there are folks that say it's fine for something that is maintained correctly. I'm on the fence but leaning towards against it. Dad shouldn't have suffered the failure of the heater core and control valve, in my opinion.

I would probably go back to conventional coolant if it were mine.

Thanks for posting your opinion. I appreciate it.

Jared, does the pressure plate only use 3 fingers to release the clutch disk?

20180421_150016-2016x1512-jpg.87511

Yes, those three fingers are what the throwout bearing engages. That's the stock style clutch for this car.

I'd just say no to Dexcool also, seen too many messes with it.

Thanks for posting your opinion. I appreciate it. So far, nobody is sticking up for "Dexkill"

It's a Borg & Beck setup. Most can be had either diaphragm or B&B.....
Correct. I haven't seen any of the diaphragm style for this car but my guess is Centerforce makes one.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Slowpoke

G-Body Guru
Dec 23, 2016
Everything is looking awesome. I love the attention to detail your Pop's put into putting everything back together so far. Looking forward to more updates! Thanks for sharing.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jared,
I'm guessing that Dexcool is formulated, or more compatible for later model cars. Perhaps, I might be wrong in that respect.

Dad's car is shaping up nicely. I see where you guys get it from...;)
It's going to be one cool cruiser.

Reactions: 1 user

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Car's looking great Jared! I see where you and Sean get your skills from! Will be watching for future updates!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor