Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Looking good Jared!

Thanks Kevin!

Lookin' good, Jared.
Nice work and progress, my man.
Thanks again for sharing your pics with the masses...

Thanks Jack. It was a good day. You have to really enjoy the good ones to help get through the bad ones. I like sharing this project so you guys know why I'm so slow on my GP.

You guys are doing a great job on the Galaxie Jared. I like the fact that you, your dad and your brother are all working on it.

Thanks Opie. It truely is quality time. When we go to leave and Dad is happy, it makes me feel great.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Thanks Opie. It truely is quality time. When we go to leave and Dad is happy, it makes me feel great.

You're welcome Jared. My dad taught me a lot about cars and he helped me work on a few of mine over the years. In the beginning it was usually dad running the show and me watching/helping. As the years went by and my skills increased I did more and more of the work to the point where I would usually take care of the project and he would watch me. It made me feel good that he would trust me to do the work. Dad was an excellent mechanic and I figured if my work was up to his standards that I must be doing OK.

I remember a Nissan truck that he wrecked and it required a cab swap. Dad and I started the project and I ended up doing most of the work (which I didn't mind). When the truck getting repaired would come up in conversation with his friends he'd tell them how he and I did the swap at home. I'd always give him one of those, is that how it really happened?, looks and be like "We did the swap, huh?'' He'd always say "Ope did most of the work", and then usually brag that I did a good job on it. It made me feel good when he did that.

I wanted to have dad teach me how to do body work on my Monte Carlo and when I first got it I asked him about it and he said yes. Unfortunately, before I could get to the point of actually doing body work on it he was diagnosed with lung cancer and he got too sick to work on cars. He died last year and never got to teach me.

You're fortunate to have your dad and brother both working with you on projects. I think it's really cool that you guys all share the experience. Keep up the good work and keep the updates coming. I'm interested to see how the Galaxie turns out.

Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
You're welcome Jared. My dad taught me a lot about cars and he helped me work on a few of mine over the years. In the beginning it was usually dad running the show and me watching/helping. As the years went by and my skills increased I did more and more of the work to the point where I would usually take care of the project and he would watch me. It made me feel good that he would trust me to do the work. Dad was an excellent mechanic and I figured if my work was up to his standards that I must be doing OK.

I remember a Nissan truck that he wrecked and it required a cab swap. Dad and I started the project and I ended up doing most of the work (which I didn't mind). When the truck getting repaired would come up in conversation with his friends he'd tell them how he and I did the swap at home. I'd always give him one of those, is that how it really happened?, looks and be like "We did the swap, huh?'' He'd always say "Ope did most of the work", and then usually brag that I did a good job on it. It made me feel good when he did that.

I wanted to have dad teach me how to do body work on my Monte Carlo and when I first got it I asked him about it and he said yes. Unfortunately, before I could get to the point of actually doing body work on it he was diagnosed with lung cancer and he got too sick to work on cars. He died last year and never got to teach me.

You're fortunate to have your dad and brother both working with you on projects. I think it's really cool that you guys all share the experience. Keep up the good work and keep the updates coming. I'm interested to see how the Galaxie turns out.
Opie, you had mentioned before the loss of your father but I am still sorry for it. I do feel blessed to still have my dad, especially after losing my step-dad (was a second father to me) to cancer last year. I feel blessed to get along so well with my dad and brother and to be able to work so well with them. When we've spent some time on dad's car and are leaving and I can tell he is happy and proud, it just motivates me to do more. I've been working on this car with my dad since 1990. It will always be very special to me.

Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jared, Hopefully with your continued progress on your dad's car you'll soon be able to get back on your own project.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Jared, Hopefully with your continued progress on your dad's car you'll soon be able to get back on your own project.
Jack, thanks for your reply. Now that I have my health back, I'm working on mine nights, little by little. Dad gets Saturdays and Sundays.

Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jared, I'm glad you're doing much better health wise and feeling well enough to be able to get back to your projects. I know things were touch and go there for awhile. Hope you continue to feel good and keep doing what you enjoy doing.
Is your dad still considering doing the HR Power tour?

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Jared, I'm glad you're doing much better health wise and feeling well enough to be able to get back to your projects. I know things were touch and go there for awhile. Hope you continue to feel good and keep doing what you enjoy doing.
Is your dad still considering doing the HR Power tour?
Thanks Jack. You are a classy guy and a good friend. Our dream is to take all 3 cars on the power tour. I think we will take my dad's and my brother's next year. Good enough for me.

• Friendly

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thank you for your kind words, my friend...aw shucks..
I hope you can fulfill that dream. I think it would be nice sharing quality time, camaraderie, and a memorable experience.

• Agree

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Kind of a hijack, but thought you would get a kick out of the pic of one of my employer's cars. Probably the nicest original sheetmetal I've ever seen on a 1963 anything from the doors back. The glass bumpers, fenders, inners, and hood are another story though.
file.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
We had a decent morning on the car. Dad had all the welds ground down. We did a few touch ups on the welds and then I did a little finish grinding. Then we moved on to welding up some of the holes in the quarter panel where dad drilled it to pull out a crease about 20 years ago. We had to pull off early for a family deal. Here's some pics of the progress........
20170415_140828.jpg

Here's where the front of the door jamb sits on top of the rocker....
20170415_140812.jpg

Here's the back of the door jamb where it sits on the rocker....
20170415_140818.jpg

Here's the cowl where the rocker slips in....
20170415_140743.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor