Dad's 62 Ford Galaxie

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Looking good Jared.
Little bits at a time, progress is progress brother!

You're very fortunate to be from and in a car family - you, your dad, and your brother. I have only one sibling (a sister, who isn't into cars AT ALL), and my dad was always into the outdoors lifestyle. Hunting, fishing and camping was what I grew up with. Hot rods and cars were never really on his radar, so I had to learn everything on my own.

I'm really happy you and your dad have the same love of the hobby that you can share together. I'm really enjoying this thread and following along with the progress. Keep up the great work and the updates!

D.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Thanks Donovan. I do truely feel blessed to enjoy the car hobby with my Dad and my brother. I owe it all to dad. He gave me the bug bad when he bought a 57 Bellair 2 door hardtop basket case in 1979 and restored it in about 3 years.

Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Another good day on the Galaxie. I figure we filled 38 holes. Not bad considering I had to do yard work first and we probably didn't get started until 11:30. We'll be working on the lower front quarter panel patch next weekend.
20170416_143308.jpg

20170416_152115.jpg

20170416_160955.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
We had another good weekend on the Galaxie! Saturday morning we started cutting out the rest of the lower quarter panel in front of the passenger rear wheel to make room for the patch. We had to cut part of the quarter away to get in the new rocker, and it was damaged anyway from someone sitting the car down on wheels. Why they put the wheels under the rockers and quarters instead of the frame, I'll never understand. Anyway, here's a pic with most of the area cut away, and my brother and I were working on the spot welds and getting the edges off....
Resized_20170422_100631.jpeg

Here's a pic of the area after we were done getting all the old metal off. Like everything else, we cleaned up the inner rocker, primed it, undercoated it, and sprayed the edges where we would be welding with weld through primer....
Resized_20170423_135300.jpeg

To control distortion, we decided to do a lap joint on this patch. I'm just not a good enough welder to butt weld these seams with an acceptable level of distortion. We used a pair of Vise Grips that have a special set of jaws in them to create a flange on the upper edge of our patch panel. Here's a pic of the patch after we had it trimmed down to size and flanged....
Resized_20170423_103857.jpeg

Here's a look at the first fit up of the patch. It fit really well from the get go. It's a little long so some massaging will be required on the rear wheel well lip but we did that on the other side as well......

Resized_20170422_143656.jpeg

Since we didn't have clamps with a long enough throat to clamp up the lower edge of the original quarter panel to the patch, we elected to suck the joint tight with small sheet metal screws. I used #6 x 1/2" screws. We have a pneumatic puncher tool that we used to punch the lower edge of the original quarter panel skin with for plug welds....
Resized_20170422_173313.jpeg

A small detail I almost forgot to post in here......

The lower quarter originally had drains stamped in it. The patch panel did not have these so we had to fab them to get the factory correct appearance dad wants on this. Here's a look at one of the original drains and you can see where dad pulled the crushed rocker out with a dent puller probably 20 years ago.....
Resized_20170422_145514.jpeg

First we laid out the location of the three drains...
Resized_20170422_145500.jpeg

Then we cut the "T" shape with the Dremel. I didn't get all the pictures I wanted on this. We were making too much progress and I forgot. Next we clamped a body dolly with a good crisp edge to the rocker as an anvil and then using a hammer and a brass drift, we bent the 'ears' up into position. Of course this left a pretty wide gap down at the end of the "T". My brother held a piece of copper that we shaped to mimic the shape of the drain in position and I welded up the gap. Not the most beautiful stuff but I got it done....

Resized_20170422_152638.jpeg

Much prettier with some grinding and few touch up welds....

Resized_20170423_103840.jpeg

Then the piece was prepared for installation. I cleaned it with lacquer thinner and then sanded the whole thing with 220 grit paper. Then I used a Scotch Brite type clean up disk in the grinder on all the edges where we would weld. My brother primed the inside followed by undercoating followed by weld through primer on the edges where we would be welding......

Resized_20170423_135326.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 7 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
And here it is welded on the car. The welding along the seam at the top is done and ground down. We used the spot welder along the bottom and I love that thing! We did the welds along the bottom in maybe 10 minutes. No grinding needed. Next weekend we will weld up the front seam where the patch overlaps the rocker panel. We also have some massaging and welding to do at the rear wheel well lip. We also need a few spot welds to fasten the rear edge of the patch to the wheel house. I think we can get it done next Saturday. Then we will move on to welding up some more swiss cheese at the rear of the wheel well. Our patch won't go far enough forward so I'm going to weld up most if not all of the area that I hit with the wire wheel in the pictures above. Then we have a patch or two to do behind the wheel well and the big body work on this car will be done.
Resized_20170423_163541.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That is really nice work you guys are doing all the way down to the drainage holes....:)

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Awesome work, my friend. :)

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Too late for this one, but you might consider cutting the drain slot with the dremel, then using a cold chisel and a block of soft wood , whacking the upset/bend into the panel while holding the chisel at the appropriate angle to achieve the desired depth/angle of the hole, backing it up with the wood block on the other side.

Hopefully, that made some sense, I'm not so good with my words lol

This is in no way a criticism of how you did it, just an alternative thought.

Good job on your metalwork!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
That is really nice work you guys are doing all the way down to the drainage holes....:)
Thanks Steve. I appreciate the positive feedback.
Awesome work, my friend. :)
Thanks Jack. Much appreciated.
Too late for this one, but you might consider cutting the drain slot with the dremel, then using a cold chisel and a block of soft wood , whacking the upset/bend into the panel while holding the chisel at the appropriate angle to achieve the desired depth/angle of the hole, backing it up with the wood block on the other side.

Hopefully, that made some sense, I'm not so good with my words lol

This is in no way a criticism of how you did it, just an alternative thought.

Good job on your metalwork!
Thanks for your idea and positive feedback. Fortunately we are done building drains.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor