Defeat trunk lock ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
OK, my idiot cousin lost his keys in a lake. We can get all the keys remade except for the trunk. It was replaced once and no spare. And of course the trunk is full of parts and crap so no getting at the lock from the back seat. What is the best way to defeat the trunk lock without damaging the sheet metal? Screw driver and hammer? Slap hammer with a screw on the end? Impact chisel? We've all seen a million trunk locks busted out by crooks but the metal was always wasted. I need to avoid that.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
easiest thing is to just take it to a locksmith and have a new key made, it should be under $50 leaving the lock in

Reactions: 3 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Can a GM dealer remake a key from a VIN number? I am not sure how old they can go on that , but I have had that done on 90's cars before.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Can a GM dealer remake a key from a VIN number? I am not sure how old they can go on that , but I have had that done on 90's cars before.
He said the trunk lock is not original to the car.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
The locksmith already said it's too old for him to deal with. So forget doing it the proper way. How would you break in? Gently, of course.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
OK, my idiot cousin lost his keys in a lake. We can get all the keys remade except for the trunk.
Any chance he is such an idiot that he forgot he has a remote trunk release switch in the glove box?

Reactions: 3 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Would there be a chance that you could pop the back of the back seat out, and crawl into the trunk? (i.e. No cross braces in the way.) If you could get someone in there, you might be able to release the clip that holds the lock cylinder in and pull it out of the trunk lid. Then you could open the lid with a flat tip screwdriver.

If that is not possible, I would get a narrow step drill bit or a set of progressively larger regular drill bits, and drill right through the middle of the lock hole. Once the tumblers have been drilled out, the lock should turn without a key.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I was going to try a very narrow chisel and hope it would turn once stabbed. Otherwise I have Cobalt bits. They should do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor