Does this just happen to me......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
When I first started driving (12 years ago), one could throw a stone in almost any direction and hit an a/g body car, whether it be on the street or in a junk yard. I have watched a steady decline on the amount of DD g body cars on the road. There is a couple here and there, but as the o.p. mentions, they are in great distress due to time spent in upstate. Where I bought my malibu 11 years ago (little used car lot), I believe there was at least 3 other a/g-body cars on the lot to choose from, that lot hasn't had one in about 5 or 6 years now though. Nice ones are coming out of the woodwork at local cruise ins and car shows though, I've noticed quite a few older folks are picking them up and bringing them out.

upandaway84

Greasemonkey
Jan 3, 2011
Michigan
Bonnewagon said:
My current 83' wagon I pestered a 93 year old man for 5 years to sell it. After he quit driving his son sold it to me.
You must have really wanted that wagon or the old man really knew how to stick to his guns. 5 years is a long time to try and buy a car. But your work paid off in the end.

Stoopud

Master Mechanic
May 21, 2007
Cleveland Ohio
DoubleV what part of town are you in? When the weather breaks I will come drive past for you. haha.

What you said is right. When I bought my car 12 years ago there were about 3-4 nice GP's, 100 Cutlass', and a few hundred Monte's in my part of town (lower west side). Now I cant remember the last time I saw another GP, and even the Monte's are getting sparce. I remember when everyone I know had a cutlass (almost literally), I know where there are 2 nice ones now. I go to alot of shows and have only seen one other GP at a show and it was a v6 with spokes. The most "G"'s I have ver seen at a show was a giant show at the Chevy plant and there were all of 6 (including mine and my friends Monte).

Everytime I see a "G" I start thinking about what I could do to it. Mine was in worse shape than most of them when I started. Hopefully, they will get fixed-up are parted out soon and we will start seeing more of them. Every magazine has said they were the next big thing for 10 years now. It seems to be true since TV shows are starting to show more about them, and they are making more parts, but I am not seeing them on the street yet. Lets see how many more are out this year.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
I see it all the time. There is this Regal, that I see here like once a week, and it is super solid and complete. It has all the bumper fillers and its an original hard top car (no vinyl). Some thug drives it around :? I wish I had the money to just go buy it from him so it wouldn't be wasted
There is also a guy, that lives next to a buddy of mine, that has a Syclone. The thing is never washed. Sounds like its running on 3 cylinders. Very solid truck :!: Original rims and all :blam:

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
There is a few G's in my town of about 14 thousand. I have seen only one other rust free cutlass, and that has a 455 olds and is real nice. Been told theres a few 442's and a hurst but havn't seen it. Theres like 2 nice GP's, like one monte and one malibu.

There is more elcaminos than anything else. Theres probably 10.

I think I have one of like 3 or 4 daily driven G bodies in the summer. All the others sit in garages most of the time.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Upandaway84, I looked for years for a Pontiac wagon, he had the only one. I used to deliver his VA medication and always bugged him about it. His son told me he said he "would NEVER sell it to that guy". As soon as he hit the nursing home his son sold it to me, but I had to promise not to tell him. The old guy had the motor replaced and the car repainted, he really took good care of it.

80lemans

Apprentice
Jun 13, 2009
South Carolina
You guys are gonna hate me since I see G Bodies around here all the time. There are 2 on the side of the road for sale that I pass daily. Its pretty common to spot GBodies driving around. Saw a Monte SS today. Went to the O'Rielly parts store and saw a nice BU with a cowl hood and ralley wheels. It belongs the one of their counter guys.

Hopefully the reason you don't see them in NY because they have become somebodies project.

When you think of how many Cultasses used to be around, it a real shame that GM ran OLDS into the ground!

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Yeah there's LOTS of them around here too. There has to be a 10-15 SSs that I've seen, 5 that are show quality. 6-7 Elcaminos, 2 that are show quality, and the others also look solid. 3-4 of those 2 door Lemans, 2 are show quality. There's about 10 Malibu's that I know of. 1 that is show quality and the rest are drivers (mines probably the nicest out of the drivers). There's all kinds of wagon and 4 doors, even some nice modded ones. Lots of GPs and Cutlass's, I know of a nice ( not show nice, but everythings there, and only thing I can see wrong is surface rust) looking 442 that's been sitting in the same spot with a flat tire for about 5 years.

I'll be taking lots of pictures this summer and posting them on here. I think you will all see something you like. This city is kinda big on cars, and we have pretty much everything around here (good and bad lol)

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Stoopud said:
DoubleV what part of town are you in?

Middleburg Hts.

When the weather breaks I will come drive past for you. haha.

It seems like the weather will never break....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor