Dual Exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babyblue78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 21, 2015
I have a dual exhaust set up already complete with mufflers and cats i also have long tube headers and would like to know if anyone has pics of where to place hangers and where to buy them. Any help would be GREAT thanks a million

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
I have a dual exhaust set up already complete with mufflers and cats i also have long tube headers and would like to know if anyone has pics of where to place hangers and where to buy them. Any help would be GREAT thanks a million

Is this a kit or something you made?

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
I purchashed the kit from the same year monte that was being gutted. Unfortuatly i did not take the time to look at the placement of the hangers. Can u help? Its straight pipes
Who makes the kit? I'll have to snag a few pics tomorrow of my setup

Babyblue78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 21, 2015
Who makes the kit? I'll have to snag a few pics tomorrow of my setup
I wish i knew. But i will lay my setup out in the garage tomorrow and also take pics. I do know its all 2.5 inch pipe all the way back. Thanks a million kwik.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
The hangers on mine were just aft of the mufflers, in front of the rearend, look like rubber strap, bolted to a brace that runs across the frame in that area. Mine turn down behind the tire, sort of like a Chevelle, there is another mount there to the frame. Pretty generic muffler shop set up.

It will require raising the car WAY up to clear the bends that go over the rearend, may be easier if you undo the shocks.

Babyblue78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 21, 2015
20150326_185713.jpg
20150326_185705.jpg
20150326_185616.jpg

Ok hope i did this correct but here are the pics of what i have

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The tailpipes look backwards (and switched left/right) to me. The mufflers will be under the rear footwells, so the short ends in the foreground of the last photo should bolt to the mufflers. I am not sure but I think you should try swapping the intermediate pipes (with the cats) left/right. And maybe flip them over. The pipe with the two small bends looks like it was made to fit under the driver's side of the transmission crossmember. The floor on the passenger front is higher than the driver to clear the OEM cat.

You could make your own hangers. If you can work with a torch, get some 1/4 or 3/8 rod stock at the hardware store. On the pipe side, make a small arc that matches the pipe curve, then put a 90-degree vertical bend, then a purpendicular bed (fore/aft) and bend the tip down one end. Make a matching bend with the tip up, then figure out where you want it, and flatten the the other end, drill two holes, and bolt on. Or, weld to the frame. Leave enough room for a donut you can get at the parts store. Looks like a rounded-ff diamond with a home in each end. That's how the OEM does it.

Last edited:

Babyblue78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 21, 2015
The tailpipes look backwards (and switched left/right) to me. The mufflers will be under the rear footwells, so the short ends in the foreground of the last photo should bolt to the mufflers. I am not sure but I think you should try swapping the intermediate pipes (with the cats) left/right. And maybe flip them over. The pipe with the two small bends looks like it was made to fit under the driver's side of the transmission crossmember. The floor on the passenger front is higher than the driver to clear the OEM cat.

You could make your own hangers. If you can work with a torch, get some 1/4 or 3/8 rod stock at the hardware store. On the pipe side, make a small arc that matches the pipe curve, then put a 90-degree vertical bend, then a purpendicular bed (fore/aft) and bend the tip down one end. Make a matching bend with the tip up, then figure out where you want it, and flatten the the other end, drill two holes, and bolt on. Or, weld to the frame. Leave enough room for a donut you can get at the parts store. Looks like a rounded-ff diamond with a home in each end. That's how the OEM does it.
Thanks I'll try it

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
If that is a kit, it must be a pretty old and long discontinued thanks to the 1990 Clean Air Act which outlaws retrofitting dual exhausts into cars that originally didn't have it, even with dual cats installed. More likely it is a one off custom exhaust by some shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor