Dual fan controls

Status
Not open for further replies.

H2O gbodies

Apprentice
May 2, 2009
Hah...I'm not surprised they didn't reply. Nothing is free and a fan that is supposedly a 2900 CFM fan I'd expect to see about a 16-18 amp draw IF its an efficient design. Non matter what anybody says, all the aftermarket fans are crap. Nobody offers a dual speed fan whether in a single fan, or as a dual setup in series. I build my 3-speed resistors harnesses to convert them or any OEM fan to run at 3 speeds simply because I don't care for aftermarket fans, and I don't see any "controller" having any kind of respectable lifespan when it comes to handling a high powered fan-especially an OEM fan. I've thrown in the towel on controllers a few years ago since I began building my own harnesses and haven't looked back.

Right now I'm working with a guy who is on his 4th Derale controller that can't handle his dual Derale fan assembly-what a crock. They build junk and sell cheap and hope people are happy that they are willing to warranty crap for more crap. Sad.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I like the aftermarket and the OEM fans are built by the same aftermarket companies and are merely rebranded. Although I don''t know the CFM of the fan I used for 3 years it worked without a hitch so I would use one of them again. I'll be cleaning the one I have and if it looks good I will run it with a smaller fan beside it. I'm thinking one of the reasons my car ran hotter than normal I didn't flush out the antifreeze mixture I had put in for last winter. I normally run distilled water and water wetter in the summer.

jociha

Master Mechanic
Oct 16, 2012
gmachinzz said:
Hah...I'm not surprised they didn't reply. Nothing is free and a fan that is supposedly a 2900 CFM fan I'd expect to see about a 16-18 amp draw IF its an efficient design. Non matter what anybody says, all the aftermarket fans are crap. Nobody offers a dual speed fan whether in a single fan, or as a dual setup in series. I build my 3-speed resistors harnesses to convert them or any OEM fan to run at 3 speeds simply because I don't care for aftermarket fans, and I don't see any "controller" having any kind of respectable lifespan when it comes to handling a high powered fan-especially an OEM fan. I've thrown in the towel on controllers a few years ago since I began building my own harnesses and haven't looked back.

Right now I'm working with a guy who is on his 4th Derale controller that can't handle his dual Derale fan assembly-what a crock. They build junk and sell cheap and hope people are happy that they are willing to warranty crap for more crap. Sad.

The only aftermarket fans I respect are Spal fans. They are top quality. I run a Dakota Digital controller and it works great, but not cheap. As an electrical engineer I am interested in the 3 speed controllers you are building, can you share more information.

H2O gbodies

Apprentice
May 2, 2009
I'm don't believe Siemens Group builds aftermarket fans-OEM only as far as I know with respect to engine cooling fans. I prefer Motorcraft fans moreover than most aftermarket. My harness uses 3 fixed resistor coils attached in series. Using 2 temp switches and four relays, voltage is varied by reducing the amount of voltage going through them one at a time as the temperature demand goes up, which speeds the fan up. Then, wiring the relays with an auto bypass drops the voltage out of the resistors altogether and runs full speed via a 50A (typically) rated relay. There's some work involved ony end with building a 4-gang relay bank, but only 6 wires to run in the end for it all to work. Its been a pretty durable design so far-I even have one running a dual fan assembly (NEW) for a 2010 F150 which is a 6000 CFM rated dual fan assembly-this is on my 86 K10 Silverado.

Jul 4, 2015
The only aftermarket fans I respect are Spal fans. They are top quality. I run a Dakota Digital controller and it works great, but not cheap. As an electrical engineer I am interested in the 3 speed controllers you are building, can you share more information.
Hi M y name is Scott. I read some of your posts and hope you can help me. I have a 97 olds cutlass supreme, I would like to either find a bigger stock replacement fan or wire the relays so both fans come on at the same time.Can I jump the 2nd fan relay from the first? or are you aware of different o.e. fans in other models with bigger fans? thanks scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor