Electric Fan Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

commandercool86

Apprentice
Apr 2, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Just got some derale dual fans for my 87 Camino. was wondering where/how you guys with electric fans are mounting the relays and breakers. I'm trying to get some ideas on how to do it clean.

Attachments

• tmp_IMG_20140331_082032_9421455946392.jpg
    tmp_IMG_20140331_082032_9421455946392.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,341
  • tmp_IMG_20140329_134353_320-666007386.jpg
    tmp_IMG_20140329_134353_320-666007386.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,682
  • tmp_IMG_20140329_134317_2491391907596.jpg
    tmp_IMG_20140329_134317_2491391907596.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,008

darbysan

Master Mechanic
Apr 3, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
As a thought for you, early on in my build I knew I wanted some extra fuses, etc, so I installed an underhood fuse box from a Lumina. It has Fusible links, relays and fuses. I moved the fusible links from down by the starter using the two in this box ( much easier to change), and it gives me a bunch of relays, fusible links and extra fuses for all those future projects.

Picture shown here with the cover removed.

CIMG1866.jpg

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
If you go to my photo gallery you can see where I mounted my relays in the passenger side fender just behind the battery. They are tucked out of the way, but still allow easy access. My fans plug in at the bottom, then I ran the wires under the shroud and came up along the underside of the frame, up by the battery and into the fender.

commandercool86

Apprentice
Apr 2, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
darbysan said:
As a thought for you, early on in my build I knew I wanted some extra fuses, etc, so I installed an underhood fuse box from a Lumina. It has Fusible links, relays and fuses. I moved the fusible links from down by the starter using the two in this box ( much easier to change), and it gives me a bunch of relays, fusible links and extra fuses for all those future projects.

Picture shown here with the cover removed.

CIMG1866.jpg

that's an awesome idea, but will have to be for a project down the road. doing that now would get in the way of the new coolant recovery tank i got for my cooling system overhaul. you have a badass El Co!

commandercool86

Apprentice
Apr 2, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
crotchss said:
If you go to my photo gallery you can see where I mounted my relays in the passenger side fender just behind the battery. They are tucked out of the way, but still allow easy access. My fans plug in at the bottom, then I ran the wires under the shroud and came up along the underside of the frame, up by the battery and into the fender.

i think this is the route I'll go. thanks for the insight! couple questions if you don't mind.. where did you tap the t-stat? head or intake? did you fabricate a bracket there on the passenger fender? what about the breakers?

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
I put the fan temp switch in the cylinder head. The relays I picked up at Advance Auto, 40 amps each. Yep, fabbed up the bracket for the relays out of some light gauge metal. It was all pretty simple and works flawlessly.

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
I ran my wires toward the drivers side,tucked them in the headlight/turn signal wiring harness.That runs along the top of the wheel well into the firewall,Hooked to a toggle switch FOR TEMPORARILY under the dash out of sight to turn them on/off.

I will be getting one of them HAYDEN 3652 Engine Cooling Fan Controller,an was thinking about mounting it to the core support behind the radiator out of sight an of course making it were i can easily get to the fuse, if it were to blow.I thought i had a pic showing the wiring how it's ran but i guess if you want it id have to snap a pic of it tomorrow

commandercool86

Apprentice
Apr 2, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
skulledmonte84 said:
I ran my wires toward the drivers side,tucked them in the headlight/turn signal wiring harness.That runs along the top of the wheel well into the firewall,Hooked to a toggle switch FOR TEMPORARILY under the dash out of sight to turn them on/off.

I will be getting one of them HAYDEN 3652 Engine Cooling Fan Controller,an was thinking about mounting it to the core support behind the radiator out of sight an of course making it were i can easily get to the fuse, if it were to blow.I thought i had a pic showing the wiring how it's ran but i guess if you want it id have to snap a pic of it tomorrow

if you could, that'd be great. i plan to start wiring it up tomorrow night. i gotta ask, why driver side? is your battery over there?

commandercool86

Apprentice
Apr 2, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
crotchss said:
I put the fan temp switch in the cylinder head. The relays I picked up at Advance Auto, 40 amps each. Yep, fabbed up the bracket for the relays out of some light gauge metal. It was all pretty simple and works flawlessly.

do you not have breakers?

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
Sorry my bad.I didn't give that a thought that your set up will be different,Being that the harness on my 2000 olds alero dual fans originally runs toward the driver side,that's were i ended up spicing into the wires adding longer ones running them threw the firewall, Just so i could hook a toggle switch to them

you could run the wire off your battery,along the core support behind the rad were it's not seen, hooking to your fans,screw the relay to the core also out of sight,

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor