Electric fan Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingcolbert83

G-Body Guru
Mar 26, 2008
I bought a torqflo 16" electric fan yesterday. Haven't installed it yet because I have to get my relays and stuff. I was trying to find the cfm rating of the fan but couldnt come up with anything. I called the company but tech support went to voicemail. Anybody know the cfm and is will this get the job done on my buick 430. I will be running fan shroud also.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I don't have the cfm rating but something to keep in mind is that the majority of published cfm ratings for electric fans aren't even close to accurate.

A rule of thumb I found while researching fans is that for every 1000cfm of stated air flow, they should pull 10A. So if you have a fan that says it pulls 2800cfm but only draws 10A, odds are it probably doesn't really flow 2800 but closer to 1000cfm.

I had a Flex-a-lite Black Magic 2800cfm fan years ago the never could keep up with my 455.

Based on that I found this Derale setup:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-16927/

I've been using it on my 11.3:1 455 and it has no problems keeping the temps down.

A cheaper solution to is to use the dual electric fan setup out of an LT1 F-body.

kingcolbert83

G-Body Guru
Mar 26, 2008
Instructions say 25 amp fuse. I may take it back and just order an original clutch fan because I want to be sure it will cool it. Will probably upgrade to the taurus fan that I know will move enough air but this wont be till spring or summer time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor