REGAL Electric fans worth it on stock engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I am going to vote for the electric fans over the clutch fan for efficiency. Yes, you still have to pay the piper on parasitic load on the crankshaft VS. electrical load on the alternator, but since you have the battery and the alternator working together, the load on the engine doesn't increase linearly with RPM.

With a clutch fan, there is parasitic load from the moment you start the car until the moment you shut it off. The warmer the engine is and the faster the engine is spinning, the more horsepower it takes to spin it. When you are pushing the engine to high RPM's is when you will see the most losses from the fan.

With an electric fan, there is zero parasitic load until the engine is hot enough to need the fan (assuming you have a properly set up controller). Once the fan is called for there is a fixed amount of load regardless of RPM until it switches off and any lost charge from the battery is replaced.

This actually is a bigger deal on a smaller engine than a big one, since there isn't a bunch of horsepower to spare. It works out to about 3-4hp fixed parasitic load for the car VS 10-12hp for the clutch fan. Not life-changing, but worthwhile to do.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
4th Gen Camaro fans and shroud fit very well. We have them mounted in front of the rad so that they push air in to the engine compartment. But they shut ff at highway speeds.

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
So, how does Kalifornia feel about period correct-ish swaps? I'm thinking: aftermarket EFI like a Terminator or MegaSquirt with a Buick SFI manifold and aftermarket turbo. I feel like it could be done very stockish and make quite respectable power....

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
So, how does Kalifornia feel about period correct-ish swaps? I'm thinking: aftermarket EFI like a Terminator or MegaSquirt with a Buick SFI manifold and aftermarket turbo. I feel like it could be done very stockish and make quite respectable power....

The 3.8 blocks are tough, you could make better than respectable power with this /\ /\ formula, and meet mid 80's emissions as well

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
64nailhead, regardless, it would have to be taken to a referee station to get approved. Even if it runs as clean as a whistle, if it doesn't have an official CARB EO number, they frown upon it. Which from what I understand, is basically a $250,000 cash grab by the state to test and certify each individual part. Pretty ridiculous. Step-by-step. Ran the new trans & rear by the wife, and she was not opposed, so going to take baby steps to improve it. I've read multiple threads and forums, and everything I've read said going from the TH250 to the 200-4R along with a shorter rear end makes a huge difference in responsiveness and driveability.

Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I wouldn't expect it to be a life changer but the extra leverage will make it much more tolerable. Fuel economy will probably stay about the same and it'll have zero negative consequences in dealing with emissions concerns.

As for your original question; If I owned your car I'd keep the mechanical fan and replace the fan clutch if you think it's bad. The power loss is negligible and they are really reliable. Electric fans certainly have their place but as original as your car is, I vote for factory appearing upgrades. If you ever go full-restomod we'll have a different discussion.

Glad to see you're still enjoying the car.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
On our metric (G body) circle track cars we used a 4 blade mechanical fan for a few years then went to an electric fan, what we liked about the electric fan is that it ran when the car was stopped for a red flag or traveling slow with a yellow. The lap times between the two didn't change and some guys with a mechanical fan would charge the battery and ran with no alternator to gain the hp the alternator was stealing. Their laps times were no different that ours.

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
If your plans call for an LS down the road, I'd recommend doing electric fans now, get them installed, sorted etc. One less thing you'll have to do when you swap engines down the road. Are they needed or will they help you now? Probably not

Last edited:
  • Agree

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
I'd your plans call for an LS down the road, I'd recommend doing electric fans now, get them installed, sorted etc. One less thing you'll have to do when you swap engines down the road. Are they needed or will they help you now? Probably not

This is my stance on it as well. I bought the fans I'm going to use and do plan on installing but in no hurry. Down the road I'm going LS so that's going to be done by then. If I get any benefit from it while its still the stock 305 is just a plus. The one thing I plan on doing first though is upgrading the alternator. Funny how things kind of start a domino effect when upgrading.

• Agree

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Keep in mind that the 3.8 uses a smaller radiator than a V8. So any fans sized for your current rad will be undersized for a V8 rad unless you swap in a V8 rad now. Personally, on a 3.8 I would stick with the stock fans gor now. In Cali, the only legal LS swap would be GM's expensive Erod crate package, junkyard LS swaps will not pass.

E fans saving 10 hp is highly dubious. One hp equel 746 watts, so 10 hp would be 7,460 watts ÷ 12 volts would be 627.67 amps. Most dual e fans only pull up to 35 amps, x 12 volts would be 420 watts, less than one hp.

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor