REGAL Electric fans worth it on stock engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Thanks for all the input. I think I'm probably going to do the 200-4R and shorter rear-end first. Consensus seems to be that will make the most noticeable difference. My long-term dream/plans are WAY out there in terms of approach, and I don't want to dump a ton of money into performance upgrades I'll eventually be tearing out anyway. Happy to share if you're interested.

Reactions: 3 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Thanks for all the input. I think I'm probably going to do the 200-4R and shorter rear-end first. Consensus seems to be that will make the most noticeable difference. My long-term dream/plans are WAY out there in terms of approach, and I don't want to dump a ton of money into performance upgrades I'll eventually be tearing out anyway. Happy to share if you're interested.
That's going to be the best bang for the buck by a looooooooooooooooooooong shot!

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'd go electric if it were mine, but there's also "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". 10% sounds better than 11hp, but in reality, you probably won't even be able to feel it.

and you probably won't see it on a dyno until your up over 5,000 rpm..... :popcorn:

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I believe that most newer cars use electrics for the obvious reasons - you need the most cooling at slow speeds in traffic, not on the highway, so the factory installed fans that cool it in that condition and let mother nature and aerodynamics do the work at highway speeds. Along the same line, not many are concerned about the HP gains an electric fan can supply in city driving, but out on the open road it's a different story.

Use whatever you're most comfortable with, but keep in mind that if you're using AC with an electric fan, then you need to have the fan come on when the a/c compressor cycles. Other wise you'll ac-less in traffic.

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
CaliWagon, electric fans bring with them some installation problems but can be beneficial, such as temp control cooling and when AC switches on. Although, my '87 El Camino still has a functioning (but don't know for how long) clutch fan, the plan is to upgrade to dual efans when I swap out the tired 305 for a semi-modified 350. Somewhere, I read that a good swap into G bodies is a dual fan setup from a late 1990 to early 2000 Camaro. Since these are kind of stock setups, they already have a shroud and you'll have to fabricate some hardware between fans and radiator support. Wiring will require a relay for each fan--the triggers will be a 190 deg water temp sensor (at top of engine intake manifold) and tapping into green AC compressor turn-on wire. Schematics for these are quite common on this site.

Just a comment about your plans for installing a 2004r trans with 3.42 gears. That swap really introduced pep and giddy-up into the 305 in my 87 but impacted gas mileage. Because my rear end assembly is a GN 8.5in, I did have to shorten the driveshaft. But, I believe the reason for shortening the driveshaft was due to longer yoke and/or pinion on GN rear end. Before you do anything with your driveshaft, check lengths between current trans and 2004r as well as dimensions of your rear axle assembly.

Enjoy yourself!

Reactions: 2 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
57 Handyman. Thanks for your insight. The wagon isn't my daily, so fuel economy is a secondary concern. I could see how around-town fuel economy might take a hit, but according to my calculations, with the overdrive, highway RPMs should actually be slightly lower with a 3.42 or 3.55. It's just such a dog with the stock gearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor