REGAL Electric fans worth it on stock engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
For an aftermarket setup, yes. I was merely offering up the manufacturer's logic with respect to airflow vs speed. If you're overheating at speed and the fan comes on, you're not going to stop overheating.
Why are you trying to hijack this guys post he just asked what works for us and I showed him

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Why are you trying to hijack this guys post he just asked what works for us and I showed him

I'm not hikacking a thing, I'm providing facts so anyone who reads this can make an informed decision.

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
I went with OEM factory dual fans with shrouds. one from a 1999 Malibu, and the other is from a 2000 Buick park Avenue.

Doug

Reactions: 1 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Here is a wiring diagram I made for dual fans. It runs the fans at slow speed with Key on. This only draws about 6 amps. Because the fans are already running at slow speed, the switch to high speed doesn't spike the amps like hitting dual fans from a rest would.

Chrysler 300M/Intrepid fans are cheap and plentiful at any U-pullit junkyard.

Fan control higlowdiagram.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 5 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
He may not realize the benefit of the electric fans now. Or only a small amount, but if the OP is going to go LS at some point, it will be another thing that needs to be done at that time, so why not do it now? I would, and already have... JMO

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Any car with A/C I would switch to electric fans, even if it only had 110 HP. In the summer with the A/C on you'll feel the difference in power, especially with 3.55 gears reving the motor above 3,000 RPM when passing.

A locked up clutching fan takes the same HP above 3,500 RPM on a 110 Hp motor as it does on a 350 Hp motor.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
No reason not to if you’re going to LS swap it in the future and he doesn’t need a setup in hand by Monday morning. Plenty of time to find good used parts.

Reactions: 1 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
No reason not to if you’re going to LS swap it in the future and he doesn’t need a setup in hand by Monday morning. Plenty of time to find good used parts.

With an LS swap, you can have the "Fan on" relay ground through the LS computer "fan on" wire and set the fan on temp in the computer to what ever the thermostat is.

That would make the low speed fans come on when the thermostat opens and switch to high speed when the 195 deg switch grounds.

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
With an LS swap, you can have the "Fan on" relay ground through the LS computer "fan on" wire and set the fan on temp in the computer to what ever the thermostat is.

That would make the low speed fans come on when the thermostat opens and switch to high speed when the 195 deg switch grounds.
Don't LS computers have high and low fan outputs? The ones I've seen do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor