MONTE CARLO Engine Advice: 450-500 whp (Stock Hood)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SG31

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 28, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Hey guys, I am looking to do an engine swap on a 86 Monte SS to put down 450-500 whp and have the whole setup pretty reliable. My budget is give or take $6500 for the engine and trans, but I have a couple of questions and limitations.

I would really like to make 450-500 whp with the stock hood. I am not the biggest fan of the cowl hoods, and I love the original lines of the car. I don't really mind whether the setup is sbc or ls, but I was wondering if a sbc can really make 450-500 whp under a stock hood, as sbcs seem rather inexpensive and extremely powerful/reliable, but usually with quite a bit of modifications, thus taking up extra height. My current thoughts are to get a used LS2 or LS3 from ebay, with the transmission included, and just work on the engine from there. For some reason I can't find any info on whether or not an LS2/LS3 can actually fit under the stock hood.

Is having 450-500 whp, or even 400 under a stock hood a pipe dream? Having the car as reliable as possible is the goal as well, so I'd prefer not to go the supercharger/ turbo/ nos route, but if the stock hood plan isn't possible at all, I'd like to hear other opinions on my project. (y)

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Honestly, I think an iron-block 6.0 LS with a low-boost (6-7 psi) turbo would probably be your best bet overall for drivability, reliability, etc.

Scratch that. Saw you’re in California (as am I). That complicates things quite a bit. Unfortunately (as you’re probably aware) all cars 1975 or newer are subject to smog testing. For the HP goals you’re looking at (and to stay smog-legal) your best bet is probably an LSA (if you can find one) or put a supercharger on an LS2 or LS3. There are several CARB-legal superchargers for those engines.

Of course, you could always chance trying to get the car smogged “under the table,” or go through the trouble of keeping a “smog engine” for testing every 2 years, and swap it for your performance engine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

SG31

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 28, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Honestly, I think an iron-block 6.0 LS with a low-boost (6-7 psi) turbo would probably be your best bet overall for drivability, reliability, etc.

Scratch that. Saw you’re in California (as am I). That complicates things quite a bit. Unfortunately (as you’re probably aware) all cars 1975 or newer are subject to smog testing. For the HP goals you’re looking at (and to stay smog-legal) your best bet is probably an LSA (if you can find one) or put a supercharger on an LS2 or LS3. There are several CARB-legal superchargers for those engines.

Of course, you could always chance trying to get the car smogged “under the table,” or go through the trouble of keeping a “smog engine” for testing every 2 years, and swap it for your performance engine.
Interesting read and thank you for the feedback. California smog laws definitely suck, but will any of your suggestions fit under the stock hood, regardless whether it is smog legal or not? Adding a turbo or a supercharger makes me worry about clearance levels for the hood. Based on your info, it seems like I have a couple of options, buy a crate engine, like a LS3 525 $$$ :censored:, add a turbo, or add a supercharger.

I'm not necessarily opposed to any of these options , but I'm wondering if a supercharger or turbo can fit under the stock hood? That would be perfect :love:

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Whorespower alone is not a performance goal. Not being beat by a Telsa Model 3 on Hollywood Blvd is.

I just finished building a turbo LS with a bunch of junk parts that fits under a stock hood. So... there's that.

Reactions: 4 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
What are you going to do with 450-500 hp in LA continuous traffic jams,

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
LS3 with a cam will meet your power goals and fit under the stock hood. Not smog legal in the people's republic of California.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor