Engine break in & long drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
Ok, so I am starting my engine tonight and the bottom end is new except for the cam which was in my other engine and already broken in.

How much of an effect would it have on the break in if taking it on a 4-5 hour drive during the first 500 miles? or have break in procedures changed in recent years due to improvements in parts?

Thanks,

Joe

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I wouldn't drive it higher than 60 mph and vary your speed for the first 500, then I'd change the oil and filter

350-G

Apprentice
May 2, 2015
GA
when you said the cam came out of another engine and is broke in,are you using the same lifters an put them back in the same hole they came out of? Or are u using new lifters?

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
when you said the cam came out of another engine and is broke in,are you using the same lifters an put them back in the same hole they came out of? Or are u using new lifters?

I am using the same cam and lifters. I marked the lifters when I took them out of the other engine to make sure they go on the right lobes.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Joe,
I honestly don't think buzzing the engine for that many hours with 3.73 gears would be advisable. I agree with Steve, maybe consider a gear change until you're ready to put an OD trans in there. I remember having the 3.42 gears and TH350 combination....I hated it.
The 3.08's are a lot more tolerable with the TH350. I have taken a road trip from NY to Minnesota with that combination about 25 yrs ago, and it wasn't that bad.
On a fresh engine, I would vary the use before taking it on a long road trip. You don't want to be buzzing it at too high an RPM. Just my opinion.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
No guts, no glory!
Seriously though, I don't see a problem with it.
I would try and get at least 50 miles on it around town before you leave to give it a shake down.
And if you're worried about it, it's not hard to vary your speeds on the highway...
Make frequent stops for inspections and bring some tools just in case.
I say go for it! :banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor