engine problems, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"84clonewars"Are you supposed to be using both vacuum ports on the edlebrock 1406 carb, on my sbc350 in my camaro I only use one side, I dont know if that helps you at all. Good luck...
I have no idea if I am or not, i thought you could use both.
I hope that's not a problem I am missing.

pull the vacuum line for the transmission to see if there is any transmission fluid in the line

richp85elco said:
have you checked to see if the distributor side of the wires is making good contact with the distributor terminals pull them out one by one so you dont loose where they go and clean and make sure they are making good contact.

I haven't but I certainly will.
How do you clean them, Just a cloth to wipe them down?

Do you have true dual exhaust? If so we are seeing that the problem lays on the passenger side bank of cylinders since that is where all the smoke comes from. Yes that is white smoke. That is what an engine looks like when it blows a head gasket and starts burning coolant and that is how they run sometimes as well. I am not saying it is that but you will know when you get a compression tester. It sounds just like my jeep when the head gasket blew. Compression tested it and sure enough had two cylinders with about 40psi. So definitely get a compression tester or borrow one and put it on there. Is any smoke coming out of the drivers side bank of cylinders? CaperKev gave good advice on adjusting the valves. In my personal opinion it is the best way, all be it the messiest way. You will have oil running everywhere. You can stuff some rags in here and there to slow it down. Have a fire extinguisher handy. I have first hand experience with oil hitting hot exhaust and starting a fire. It sucked. Water will make it worse so have a fire extinguisher.

CHRIS.O said:
Do you have true dual exhaust? If so we are seeing that the problem lays on the passenger side bank of cylinders since that is where all the smoke comes from. Yes that is white smoke. That is what an engine looks like when it blows a head gasket and starts burning coolant and that is how they run sometimes as well. I am not saying it is that but you will know when you get a compression tester. It sounds just like my jeep when the head gasket blew. Compression tested it and sure enough had two cylinders with about 40psi. So definitely get a compression tester or borrow one and put it on there. Is any smoke coming out of the drivers side bank of cylinders? CaperKev gave good advice on adjusting the valves. In my personal opinion it is the best way, all be it the messiest way. You will have oil running everywhere. You can stuff some rags in here and there to slow it down. Have a fire extinguisher handy. I have first hand experience with oil hitting hot exhaust and starting a fire. It sucked. Water will make it worse so have a fire extinguisher.

Yeah true duals no y pipe or anything just off the exhaust manifolds, Straight back.
So I definitely will go get the compression gauge, and should I still get the multimeter?
Yeah that's what I thought it would be a messy job.
But i will for sure have one handy.

Thanks a lot.
also hope it isn't done for before I ever got to drive it.

I like to adjust the hydraulic valve lash with the engine off and cold but if you want to do it running take a rag and lay it over all the rocker arms to cover the push rods and duck tape it to keep it in place. That will stop the oil from shooting up from the push rods and give you access to the adjustment nuts and do one side at a time.

pontiacgp said:
I like to adjust the hydraulic valve lash with the engine off and cold but if you want to do it running take a rag and lay it over all the rocker arms to cover the push rods and duck tape it to keep it in place. That will stop the oil from shooting up from the push rods and give you access to the adjustment nuts and do one side at a time.

Thanks for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor