engine problems, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually a module is affected by heat. When originally introduced by GM, they suffered a shitload of warranty problems and even advised changing the module once a year just to be safe. What is was turned out to be a heat problem that killed the module. The fix was that it needed a heat sink, and that is why we now smear some dielectric silicone grease on the bottom of the module before screwing it down, so the heat can pass to the aluminum pad in the distributor that is sits on. Simple, eh? But they pulled their hair out in 75' and 76'. Symptoms were hard starting, rough running (when hot) and finally a no-start condition. Er,um, you guys DO smear that grease that comes packed with a new module on the bottom before installing it, right?

Mark is right about the module needing thermal grease or the module won't be working for long. I used the artic silver on the module when I had the HEI. I had a bad coil once which would overheat the module and shut it down until it cooled. I did have a module fry when driving, it thru the timing around for a few seconds then quit for good. We had a modular on the race car that would give us a miss at 6000 rpm. I agree with Chris that I have never heard of timing causing the module to fail.

Bonnewagon said:
Usually a module is affected by heat. When originally introduced by GM, they suffered a shitload of warranty problems and even advised changing the module once a year just to be safe. What is was turned out to be a heat problem that killed the module. The fix was that it needed a heat sink, and that is why we now smear some dielectric silicone grease on the bottom of the module before screwing it down, so the heat can pass to the aluminum pad in the distributor that is sits on. Simple, eh? But they pulled their hair out in 75' and 76'. Symptoms were hard starting, rough running (when hot) and finally a no-start condition. Er,um, you guys DO smear that grease that comes packed with a new module on the bottom before installing it, right?

Hearing this now, I actually have had this problem.
My car would heat up and it would get so hot you couldn't even touch the hoses.
When it got that hot it would shut down and not start untill I let it sit for about 20-30 minutes so it cooled and then started right up.

pontiacgp said:
Mark is right about the module needing thermal grease or the module won't be working for long. I used the artic silver on the module when I had the HEI. I had a bad coil once which would overheat the module and shut it down until it cooled. I did have a module fry when driving, it thru the timing around for a few seconds then quit for good. We had a modular on the race car that would give us a miss at 6000 rpm. I agree with Chris that I have never heard of timing causing the module to fail.

Like I told him I have actually had that problem.
So it could be bad and I could need a new one, and some thermal grease.
Yeah That's what my car has done got so hot shut down and wouldn't start, Until it cooled.

So what are you thinking it should be, just tell them to put some thermal grease on it?

The modules are not expensive and takes a few minutes to change. I always had an extra in case I had a problem so I can narrow down what it could be.

pontiacgp said:
The modules are not expensive and takes a few minutes to change. I always had an extra in case I had a problem so I can narrow down what it could be.

Yeah their not bad at all I looked up all the parts he quoted me I would need and it all came up to only 260.

Getting very hot and shutting down could be overheating as well. Which if you have done that several times that would explain your engines problems. The question would be are you getting spark when it won't start? That would let you know if the module is kaput.

how hot did the engine get?...the hoses get too hot to touch even with a car not overheating. I still suggest the guys should have a module somewhere in their shop to try it out. If they work on G bodys they have a module

I say change it. Then have the shop SAVE everything they replace and give it back to you. Then you can decide if anything is good, and you have spares. Put them in a box in your garage for later.

CHRIS.O said:
Getting very hot and shutting down could be overheating as well. Which if you have done that several times that would explain your engines problems. The question would be are you getting spark when it won't start? That would let you know if the module is kaput.

I still get good spark, It will always try to start up just sometimes it wont.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor