engine problems, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Don't feel too bad about getting rid of it David. Many of us have had bad luck in the past too and selling our cars was just the best course of action ( even though we may not have wanted to admit it at the time ).

When I was fresh out of high school in 1989 and full of more sh*t than sense, I bought a 64 Chevy Malibu with a 'rebuilt' 305 for $1500. It was used alot for drag racing before I bought it so almost none of the things you take for granite worked on this car ( turn signals, horn, windshield wipers, heater etc ). It was a butchered up mess. It also had the extremely unpratical 4.88 gears and of course no overdrive. It was in decent shape but needed alot of work to get it to be a nice daily driven cruiser. The problem was, I barely knew anything about cars at the time, so I always had to rely on my friend to help me with everything but he had his own junk to work on and then ended up leaving for college. That left me with a nightmare of a car with no tools or knowhow to do anything about it.

Then the engine decides to blow up one day. I replaced it with the only thing I could afford...a worn out Chevy smogger 350. It was a POS, not to mention all the other things still wrong with the car. Winter was coming. I finally realized this car was just too much for me at the time so I sold it. I then bought a nice normal daily driver and it was the best decicion I could've made. My daily driver wasn't fast or 'cool', but it was reliable and got me where I needed to go.

Got out of 'hot rods' for a while, and when I decided to get back into them ( now armed with alot more experience and mechanical knowhow ), I bought a nice 85 442 that didn't need a bunch of work done to it. Sure, I payed more for that luxury, but it was worth it for me. Now I have a car that everything works on and looks great. I don't have to constantly fix things on it and it's never out of commission for long and when it is it's because I'm doing ELECTIVE work on it like swapping a better intake on it or something. If something does break, I can usually fix it myself without anyone elses help too.

Sorry for the long winded story, but I just want you to know that others have had similar situations as yours and everything usually ends up working out in the end. Don't feel bad about getting rid of your 'cool' car and getting a 'lame' daily driver. Eventually you'll be able to afford and care for both types at the same time, then you can have your cake and eat it too. Until that time comes, good luck to you.

Justink

Greasemonkey
Nov 28, 2010
I agree with the above statement. I had a really nice looking chevy pickup when i first started driving ( 2 years ago). I was working part time and couldn't afford to pay the fuel and upkeep on it. (was making $800 a month an spending $750 on the truck). I went out and bought a little sunfire, probably the best decision I made. Got 38 mpg, was a pretty snappy little car and I didn't have to put any work into it. After That i got a real job and now have another chevy pickup and my cutlass. Moral of the story: live within your means, if it means selling your cutlass do it there will be other cars out there!!

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Everyone has one of these stories. Mine was a 68' Firebird 350 that I "rebuilt" to the tune of $800 in 70's money. Of course I never even gave it a chance and it probably didn't even need my "help". It resulted in an oil smoking mess that I suffered with for 3 years because I needed it for work. An expensive lesson learned. Sometimes you just need to know when to walk away.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
DoubleV said:
Don't feel too bad about getting rid of it David. Many of us have had bad luck in the past too and selling our cars was just the best course of action ( even though we may not have wanted to admit it at the time ).

When I was fresh out of high school in 1989 and full of more sh*t than sense, I bought a 64 Chevy Malibu with a 'rebuilt' 305 for $1500. It was used alot for drag racing before I bought it so almost none of the things you take for granite worked on this car ( turn signals, horn, windshield wipers, heater etc ). It was a butchered up mess. It also had the extremely unpratical 4.88 gears and of course no overdrive. It was in decent shape but needed alot of work to get it to be a nice daily driven cruiser. The problem was, I barely knew anything about cars at the time, so I always had to rely on my friend to help me with everything but he had his own junk to work on and then ended up leaving for college. That left me with a nightmare of a car with no tools or knowhow to do anything about it.

Then the engine decides to blow up one day. I replaced it with the only thing I could afford...a worn out Chevy smogger 350. It was a POS, not to mention all the other things still wrong with the car. Winter was coming. I finally realized this car was just too much for me at the time so I sold it. I then bought a nice normal daily driver and it was the best decicion I could've made. My daily driver wasn't fast or 'cool', but it was reliable and got me where I needed to go.

Got out of 'hot rods' for a while, and when I decided to get back into them ( now armed with alot more experience and mechanical knowhow ), I bought a nice 85 442 that didn't need a bunch of work done to it. Sure, I payed more for that luxury, but it was worth it for me. Now I have a car that everything works on and looks great. I don't have to constantly fix things on it and it's never out of commission for long and when it is it's because I'm doing ELECTIVE work on it like swapping a better intake on it or something. If something does break, I can usually fix it myself without anyone elses help too.

Sorry for the long winded story, but I just want you to know that others have had similar situations as yours and everything usually ends up working out in the end. Don't feel bad about getting rid of your 'cool' car and getting a 'lame' daily driver. Eventually you'll be able to afford and care for both types at the same time, then you can have your cake and eat it too. Until that time comes, good luck to you.

Thanks for this so much, That meant a lot.
Yeah its time to just take a loss and take care of the family in a reliable car than missing out on fun because we cant make it out of the garage.
Thanks again and this really did help.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
Justink said:
I agree with the above statement. I had a really nice looking chevy pickup when i first started driving ( 2 years ago). I was working part time and couldn't afford to pay the fuel and upkeep on it. (was making $800 a month an spending $750 on the truck). I went out and bought a little sunfire, probably the best decision I made. Got 38 mpg, was a pretty snappy little car and I didn't have to put any work into it. After That i got a real job and now have another chevy pickup and my cutlass. Moral of the story: live within your means, if it means selling your cutlass do it there will be other cars out there!!

Yeah exactly I am putting everything into this car on a monthly basis I drop 700.
I have realized I would be spending a lot more in gas than I would have had to give, just to go out and have fun and cruise the streets, or take my wife or daughter to the doctors.
So thank you for this and yeah time to just take it up as a loss and learn.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
Bonnewagon said:
Everyone has one of these stories. Mine was a 68' Firebird 350 that I "rebuilt" to the tune of $800 in 70's money. Of course I never even gave it a chance and it probably didn't even need my "help". It resulted in an oil smoking mess that I suffered with for 3 years because I needed it for work. An expensive lesson learned. Sometimes you just need to know when to walk away.

Yeah exactly time to clean my hands and just let her go.
I know there are a few Cutlass's on CL and their pretty cheap and good running cars.
I might just get a good running cutlass or a small little 4door gas saver.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
However it turns out don't lose the wanderlust for cars. Sadly you got sh*t on with what I believe is your first project car. It does indeed happen to all of us. It is simply part of working on things like this. I have lost so much money before on a car it is not even funny. I had about 3500 into the car and engine, I sold it all for 2000. I just couldn't get sh*t to work right and got frustrated and gave up on cars for a few years. Got back into them with my Formula around 07' Now I am enjoying cars again, I am back to tinkering with everything, back to just enjoying them.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Oh and don't ever be down on yourself thinking you should be able to fix it and can't. You got serious problems dumped onto a guy who is inexperienced. If you would of handed me that car when I was 16 i would have been in the same boat as you. Learning is a lot easier when you get to it gradually and not being thrown into the fire with it. Good Luck bud.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
and if you think you're in a bind some of us "mature" guys were in your position without the internet to look anything up and without a forum like this where there is someone who has seen the problem you could be asking about....with the group of guys and gals (although they are uncharacteristically quiet) on this forum you will always see the light at the end of the tunnel...and it won't be a train

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
CHRIS.O said:
However it turns out don't lose the wanderlust for cars. Sadly you got sh*t on with what I believe is your first project car. It does indeed happen to all of us. It is simply part of working on things like this. I have lost so much money before on a car it is not even funny. I had about 3500 into the car and engine, I sold it all for 2000. I just couldn't get sh*t to work right and got frustrated and gave up on cars for a few years. Got back into them with my Formula around 07' Now I am enjoying cars again, I am back to tinkering with everything, back to just enjoying them.

Yeah exactly, It is my first, But I learned a ton load of things from it.
Not enough to bring her back to life because I didn't learn everything, but I learned enough to get her running for me to enjoy a little bit of road time.
But I will honestly never lose the interest of messing with cars ever, That;s something that has brung me a lot of joy.
But i wish I could get 2000 from mine I would be totally fine with that, but the way I am looking at it I wont even get half of that.

I appreciate this so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor