engine problems, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
jmt455 said:
I was thinking of a tester like this one:

And yes, you certainly could use the one in your post...

Oh alright I will get one tomorrow.
Thank you.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
Re: engine problems, again. urgent update!

I actually got her to stay started and not die out, Just adjusted the idle a tiny bit.
Now she stays started, and I got it in R and D but when I pushed on the gas it wouldn't budge no kick no push nothing just kind of drifted.
I got two videos of the sound cause its still sounding a little sketchy.
Also smoking a lot, gray smoke.
You will see and hear it in the videos.

Here's the videos, i hope you can determine the problems.

http://youtu.be/mriNnjHs6_Q

http://youtu.be/TUza-ZLuDPM

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
To me it sounds like a bad miss. It sounds like a hit and miss motor. Did this smoke just start or has it smoked since you got the engine installed? Misses can be electrical or mechanical. Bad valve adjustment, little or no compression on a cylinder, spark plug not firing on a cylinder etc. The smoke could be a few things. It looked dark to me so I'm gonna say black instead of gray but it is hard to tell. Does the exhaust smell strong of gasoline? Black usually means rich, improperly adjusted float in carb, too much fuel pressure which i wouldn't think since you probably just have a basic parts store fuel pump, a choke staying stuck shut. It seems to me like you probably have a bunch of problems with this engine and without being there it is about impossible for me to tell ya what is going on. There are just too many variables to play internet mechanic.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
CHRIS.O said:
To me it sounds like a bad miss. It sounds like a hit and miss motor. Did this smoke just start or has it smoked since you got the engine installed? Misses can be electrical or mechanical. Bad valve adjustment, little or no compression on a cylinder, spark plug not firing on a cylinder etc. The smoke could be a few things. It looked dark to me so I'm gonna say black instead of gray but it is hard to tell. Does the exhaust smell strong of gasoline? Black usually means rich, improperly adjusted float in carb, too much fuel pressure which i wouldn't think since you probably just have a basic parts store fuel pump, a choke staying stuck shut. It seems to me like you probably have a bunch of problems with this engine and without being there it is about impossible for me to tell ya what is going on. There are just too many variables to play internet mechanic.

Yeah it just started, Like yesterday.
I does have a very strong smell to it, it comes out only when I hit the gas and it comes out a lot!
Goodness I just don't know what to do anymore.
But I understand completely, That's what i was afraid of.

richp85elco

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Long Beach, CA
have you checked your firing order, when i got my exhaust done i forgot I had crossed the plugs as a security measure and when i was trying to start it it would run like that cause two cylinders werent firing and the gas was being burned as it came out of the exhuast. Just an idea
sbc-firing-order.jpg

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
richp85elco said:
have you checked your firing order, when i got my exhaust done i forgot I had crossed the plugs as a security measure and when i was trying to start it it would run like that cause two cylinders werent firing and the gas was being burned as it came out of the exhuast. Just an idea
sbc-firing-order.jpg

Are you saying check the plugs to see if there all in order?
But I will check that as well if that's not what you mean.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Yea hes saying to check the firing order. It is pretty basic and a good idea. They are easy to mistake and have an engine that misses. Follow the number 1 cylinder plug wire back to the distributor and go from there. Then find the number 8 cylinder and follow it to the distributor and make sure they are in proper order, etc.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
CHRIS.O said:
Yea hes saying to check the firing order. It is pretty basic and a good idea. They are easy to mistake and have an engine that misses. Follow the number 1 cylinder plug wire back to the distributor and go from there. Then find the number 8 cylinder and follow it to the distributor and make sure they are in proper order, etc.

That's what I thought he was saying.
That's easy and I will go check right now.
Thanks guys.

richp85elco

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Long Beach, CA
have you messed around with the order of the wires? I was looking thru the photobucket pictures and they look like they were switched in different pictures
also did you plug this thermal vacuum switch port? it could be causing your vacuum leak
bleghblegh005.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor