engine problems, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
jmt455 said:
I have to buy the pressure gauge right?
Either buy, borrow or rent one. For the low pressure system, the combination fuel pressure/vacuum gage often comes in handy and they are not very expensive.
Also nothing was done to them other than lashing them, That was it.
I haven't confirmed it but I followed the steps of how to lash them and everything, So i assume they were set properly.
But I haven't had confirmation on them by someone who is a licensed Mechanic, If that's what you mean.
No, I only wondered if you were certain that it was done correctly. Miss-adjusted valves could cause this...
No backfires, But there is a noise coming from the exhaust not a pop or bang, but its a slight plopping noise, I hope you get what I mean.
Yes, I know exactly what you mean. My 305 sounded like that and I could not keep it running. It would stall as soon as I tried to put it in gear and tried to move the vehicle under its own power. I asked about the backfire because that could have been the event that caused the timing chain to jump a tooth or two. This sounds like your timing chain has slipped or, possibly, the distributor has been installed incorrectly (off by one tooth)

Do you have a timing light? I'd be checking that next...

I will go ask autozone tomorrow to borrow one or buy.
Yeah I assume I did them right, from whatever the video told me I followed.
I could have done it wrong but I don't think I did.
Yeah as soon as it goes into gear it will die as soon as it hits any gear.

How can I check with a testlight is its slipped?

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
id put money on it that itsa vaccum leak. check the back of the intake where the intake meets the block and the heads. if there isnt silicone bulging out where the 3 meet, i'll almost gaurantee its the "s" type rubber gaskets thats supposed to seal it. ive seen a few situations where as soon as the intakes tourqued down, that gasket squishes sideways and unless yer looking for it, you wouldnt see it. i switched a 85 cutty from a 2 barrel to a 4 and it happened 3 times before i used gasket maker on it.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
cutlassguy said:
id put money on it that itsa vaccum leak. check the back of the intake where the intake meets the block and the heads. if there isnt silicone bulging out where the 3 meet, i'll almost gaurantee its the "s" type rubber gaskets thats supposed to seal it. ive seen a few situations where as soon as the intakes tourqued down, that gasket squishes sideways and unless yer looking for it, you wouldnt see it. i switched a 85 cutty from a 2 barrel to a 4 and it happened 3 times before i used gasket maker on it.

I will go check this now or tomorrow, only if I can see now with the lighting I have in the garage.
I appreciate this.

jmt455

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
SE Michigan
David,
I just went back and watched your videos again.
I also reviewed your previous thread regarding rocker arm adjustments.

I am not sure you can check the timing on that engine with it running like that.
How many miles are on that engine?

It sure sounds like miss-adjusted valves, a valve timing issue (jumped tooth on timing chain) or a very bad vacuum leak.

What caused you to suspect that the rockers needed adjusting?
Did you exactly follow the proper procedure for valve lash adjustment?
(Either set lash while engine is running or, if not running, set the crank to #1 @TDC, Distributor @ #1 firing position:
adjust # 1,3,4 & 8 exhaust, and # 1,2,5 & 7 intake
Rotate crank 360degrees to TDC, distributor now at firing position for #6:
adjust cyl 2,5,6 & 7 exhaust and cyl 3,4,6 & 8 intake)

In one of your posts, you mentioned adjusting the lash by turning the engine over until both valves were closed at each cylinder and adjusting them at that point. If you used that method to set the lash, how did you verify that the crank and cam are properly phased?

If both valves on #1 are not closed when the crank is at TDC and the distributor is in #1 firing position, your timing chain has probably jumped a tooth or two and you will not get it to run until you replace the timing set (both gears and chain).

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
you can probaly feel it with your finger if you cant see it, but you should be able to. i once adjusted the rockers on a 305 by starting it and backing each one off until it clacked, then tightened it until the clack stops, and go another 3/4 turn after that and made the motor run like new. sometimes it pays to take a couple off to see what shape the little quarter circle gliders are in, i forgot to mention i also replaced all the nuts that hold them down cause i realized they seem to have a triangular shape to them and i figured maybe they're worn and loosening on they're own. either way, new nuts and adjusting them that way made everything run good. hope this helps man.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
jmt455 said:
David,
I just went back and watched your videos again.
I also reviewed your previous thread regarding rocker arm adjustments.

I am not sure you can check the timing on that engine with it running like that.
How many miles are on that engine?

It sure sounds like miss-adjusted valves, a valve timing issue (jumped tooth on timing chain) or a very bad vacuum leak.

What caused you to suspect that the rockers needed adjusting?
Did you exactly follow the proper procedure for valve lash adjustment?
(Either set lash while engine is running or, if not running, set the crank to #1 @TDC, Distributor @ #1 firing position:
adjust # 1,3,4 & 8 exhaust, and # 1,2,5 & 7 intake
Rotate crank 360degrees to TDC, distributor now at firing position for #6:
adjust cyl 2,5,6 & 7 exhaust and cyl 3,4,6 & 8 intake)

In one of your posts, you mentioned adjusting the lash by turning the engine over until both valves were closed at each cylinder and adjusting them at that point. If you used that method to set the lash, how did you verify that the crank and cam are properly phased?

If both valves on #1 are not closed when the crank is at TDC and the distributor is in #1 firing position, your timing chain has probably jumped a tooth or two and you will not get it to run until you replace the timing set (both gears and chain).

Yeah I just used the turn key until it was in down position.
I suspected it because a "mechanic" told me I needed them cause he heard a tick coming from the valves.

So is there any way for me to check if I jumped a tooth and or broke anything?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if your harmonic balancer is at 0 your rotor should be pointing directly at number 1 or 6...if it's not then the chain skipped....or your timing is way off

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
cutlassguy said:
you can probaly feel it with your finger if you cant see it, but you should be able to. i once adjusted the rockers on a 305 by starting it and backing each one off until it clacked, then tightened it until the clack stops, and go another 3/4 turn after that and made the motor run like new. sometimes it pays to take a couple off to see what shape the little quarter circle gliders are in, i forgot to mention i also replaced all the nuts that hold them down cause i realized they seem to have a triangular shape to them and i figured maybe they're worn and loosening on they're own. either way, new nuts and adjusting them that way made everything run good. hope this helps man.

Thank you It does help, I will go out and take the nuts off and see the shape their in. Cause I am sure they might be a little tired and worn out.
There's a nice little Phelps do it best with the cheapest prices on all nuts bolts and screws so I will hit that place up if their worn out.
Again Thanks.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
jmt455 said:
Some additional thoughts...

The Edelbrock carbs don't like fuel pressures over about 5 psi.
If you haven't found any other issues, you should probably verify that your pump pressure isn't too high.
That will cause all kinds of trouble...

What was done to the valve train when it was adjusted?
Have you been able to confirm that the lifters were set properly?

Any recent backfires? My 305 acted this after the timing chain skipped a tooth...or two.

Would this work?
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/access ... rtType=low

jmt455

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
SE Michigan
I was thinking of a tester like this one:

And yes, you certainly could use the one in your post...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor