Finally found the wheels I'm going to get...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
It all comes down to what you like/prefer. Every wheel/tire combo has a compromise of something.

14" and 15" wheels may get better traction at the dragstrip but they stink for handling purposes.

17" thru 19" wheels will help a car handle much better but due to the descrease in sidewall height, they aren't as good at the dragstrip.

Once you get above a 19"/20" rim combo, you start getting into rims that are just too heavy for anything more than a cruiser and less of a tire size selection. Although I'm sure the tire sizes will be catching up soon enough considering a lot of new vehicles are coming from the factory with 20"+ wheels.

My 2008 Sierra has 20" rims on it and I love them.

Attachments

• pizap.com10.91546800918877121393654184546.jpg
    pizap.com10.91546800918877121393654184546.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 234

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
pontiacgp said:
you don't get lots of hate in here and you shouldn't take comments on your car so personal.....as far as I'm concerned it's ridiculous to put a car on stilts and for those who think the car can still handle do a little research on how raising the center of gravity affects a car.. :blam:

Sounds like you're being a hater to me. Honestly, I don't give a damn about handling, as long as my car can go fast in a straight line with the wheels on & off, then I'm good.

silent_orchestra

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2009
Omaha, NE
I was just thinking... Someone mentioned that this guy putting 22's on his cutlass is going to raise his center of gravity and screw with his handling.. Yet he has mentioned that when done it's going to sit at stock ride height.. So there for his center of gravity is still...umm... what's the word I'm looking for??? the same?? His wheel and tire combo is probably no bigger than the wheel and tire combo on my Cutlass, it's just he's rockin' more shiney and less sidewall... And I'm rockin' 15" Americans and a healthy tire on the *ss end.. But I wouldn't mind a set of staggerd (22x10, 20x8) Torq Thrusts.... that'd be pretty sweet lookin' in my opinion..

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
245 - 22" tire with an aspect ratio of 30 had a diameter of 27.79....
255 - 22" = 28.02

a stock tire for an 86 cutlass has a diameter of 25.52.....
a 442 15" wheel = 26.00

JAWSS

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2009
Ft.Hood, Texas
I can't believe there are still people out there that hate on others cars. If we all had the same styles, tastes and ideas the world would be a boring place. All this center of gravity talk, brakes and handling has been covered over and over again. If someone is building a drag car is he concerned with handling in corners? NO If someone is building a protouring car is he worried solely about weight transfer during launch? NO So leave your style of car out of the conversation unless someone is asking about your style of car. I dont go into drag sections telling everyone to throw 22's or 24's on their car because there car looks too plain, so don't come into the customs and lowriders section and talk about how great stock wheels and tires are compared to 22's and 24's.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
there's that accusation we hate.....sounds like some people are somewhat insecure ......like alot of people like myself don't like huge wheels on a car since for my purpose they are useless and no one is going to convince me large wheels like that have anything to do with performance or add to performance

cdg1984

G-Body Guru
Oct 18, 2009
Evansville IN
pontiacgp said:
there's that accusation we hate.....sounds like some people are somewhat insecure ......like alot of people like myself don't like huge wheels on a car since for my purpose they are useless and no one is going to convince me large wheels like that have anything to do with performance or add to performance

No they have no performance benefit....but neither does a nice looking paint job. Its purley cosmetic, if he likes the way it looks, then so be it.

JAWSS

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2009
Ft.Hood, Texas
So you think everything has to be about performance? How about this. I will take my big *ss wheels as giving you a car length. Since you are performance minded line up against a few guys on big wheels and see how you feel afterwards...

As far as insecure..Last time I checked I was a grown *ss man out of high school over ten years ago. I could give a rats *ss what another man thinks about me or my cars. (Note: MY CARS) I am sick of seeing the same bullshit arguements on every forum I am on saying these cars are classics and bolting on big wheels ruins the car. Please. Seeing these cars on the road,big wheels or not is alot better than seeing them in the junkyard or on a circle track course.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
JAWSS said:
So you think everything has to be about performance?

No, he was not saying everything has to be about performance if you read what he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor