Finals week, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Is it all old farts here, or are there any other undergrad or graduate students (Whats your school and major if so)? Good luck on finals if it applies to you.

Anyone with college experience got any tips on finals week? I hear a good nights sleep is worth more than cramming and memorizing.

Cheers from University of Delaware. Im an electrical engineering major. Freshman.

Disclaimer: Nothing against old farts, you guys are cool lol

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Highschool Senior here. Gotta admit, got it pretty easy. I just have to do some online classes two days a week. Hope you do well on your finals. Electrical Engineer? Sweet. College ain't in my GPA or budget right now. If all goes well, I'll be attending my local Community College in a couple years. It's only 7k a year. Gonna get ASE certified and take some business classes and maybe down the line open my own shop. Most of the kids who do the auto stuff there go right into, and I mean right into working at the local GM dealerships making like 40k a year to start.

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Get a good night's sleep. Don't eat garbage. Good luck.

--Old Fart

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
These days I'm an "old fart"... finished grad school in 2012. At that, you can call me Dr. Old Fart, the degree allows me to get away with it. :D

That said, it's good to get a good night's rest before the test, and, try to have your studying periods mimic what your test taking conditions are like. IE don't use headphones with music on studying if you can't during a test, so on so forth.

Also, the rumor/legend about chocolate before the test helping stimulate brain activity and recall has had some studies showing that it does help.

Finally, as one former egr student to another, if one test seems particularly hard or you feel it didn't go the best, don't let it get you down. A "c" on an egr exam is about the same as a "b+" in other majors... egr students are (in)famous for having 2.xx to low 3s gpas by graduation because of the rigor of the courses. Heck, one class I had junior year of undergrad a 52 on an exam scaled out to a B....

Don't take that as an excuse not to try hard or not study. But try to keep an even keel and as little stress as you can and it'd go fine.

Reactions: 3 users

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Highschool Senior here. Gotta admit, got it pretty easy. I just have to do some online classes two days a week. Hope you do well on your finals. Electrical Engineer? Sweet. College ain't in my GPA or budget right now. If all goes well, I'll be attending my local Community College in a couple years. It's only 7k a year. Gonna get ASE certified and take some business classes and maybe down the line open my own shop. Most of the kids who do the auto stuff there go right into, and I mean right into working at the local GM dealerships making like 40k a year to start.
Thanks bro. Good luck to you in your future as well, that GM deal sounds pretty sweet. Hope it works out for you

• Agree

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Reactions: 1 user

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
These days I'm an "old fart"... finished grad school in 2012. At that, you can call me Dr. Old Fart, the degree allows me to get away with it. :D

That said, it's good to get a good night's rest before the test, and, try to have your studying periods mimic what your test taking conditions are like. IE don't use headphones with music on studying if you can't during a test, so on so forth.

Also, the rumor/legend about chocolate before the test helping stimulate brain activity and recall has had some studies showing that it does help.

Finally, as one former egr student to another, if one test seems particularly hard or you feel it didn't go the best, don't let it get you down. A "c" on an egr exam is about the same as a "b+" in other majors... egr students are (in)famous for having 2.xx to low 3s gpas by graduation because of the rigor of the courses. Heck, one class I had junior year of undergrad a 52 on an exam scaled out to a B....

Don't take that as an excuse not to try hard or not study. But try to keep an even keel and as little stress as you can and it'd go fine.
I have a lot of chocolate prepared lol, thanks. Ill try not to listen to music when Im studying either.

And its good to look at engineering students' grades in perspective with other majors. Makes me feel not as bad knowing that my seemingly low GPA might not be so 'low' after all.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
Hopefully graduating next semester with my M.S. in Electrical Engineering. Its tough for me to give advice about studying because as an undergrad, I never studied until the night before the test and never did homework until the night before it was due. I guess some advice would be to get a decent amount of sleep, eat some breakfast (healthy or not, I like me some bacon and eggs), and try to study only what you're really going to be tested on if you know.

Just some general advice for engineering in general and particularly electrical engineering, pursue some projects and knowledge outside of what you are learning in class. Getting hands on experience is what will tell you if you really enjoy the field you're getting into and will develop the skills employers are actually looking for. In your particular case, you can start by getting a basic electronics kits and experimenting. Even just putting together a kit project to get started. I also highly recommend getting an internship if you are able as soon as you can. This will give you some real experience working in your field.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Bacon, eggs, toast, juice or coffee is a good breakfast. You want it balanced. Don't just fill up on sweet carbs (pop tarts, cereal, frozen waffles and the like). Truely, good luck.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Hopefully graduating next semester with my M.S. in Electrical Engineering. Its tough for me to give advice about studying because as an undergrad, I never studied until the night before the test and never did homework until the night before it was due. I guess some advice would be to get a decent amount of sleep, eat some breakfast (healthy or not, I like me some bacon and eggs), and try to study only what you're really going to be tested on if you know.

Just some general advice for engineering in general and particularly electrical engineering, pursue some projects and knowledge outside of what you are learning in class. Getting hands on experience is what will tell you if you really enjoy the field you're getting into and will develop the skills employers are actually looking for. In your particular case, you can start by getting a basic electronics kits and experimenting. Even just putting together a kit project to get started. I also highly recommend getting an internship if you are able as soon as you can. This will give you some real experience working in your field.
Theres a Boeing in Ridley Park, PA, right over the Delaware/PA line that Id love to work at. ANd they have an intern program that really opens up to students who are sophomores and above. Im keeping my eye on it lol. And wow, a masters in EE? Congrats to you my man, Im only in the into classes and its already hard as sh*t *cough computer science cough*.

Yessir, Id love to get down and dirty with some small beginner level projects like LED boards and stuff like that. Radioshack is about to be my new best friend.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Good luck with your degree. If I need help with my Data Structures class next year Ill PM you :p lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor