Flat cam and possible upgrades on 83 (non SS) Monte

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmorman

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2008
Perry, IA
Howdy all!
According to my friend/GM mechanic, I have the beginnings of the CAM going out on my 1983 (Non SS) Monte Carlo. My original plan was to get some more upgrades done on my '79 and then focus on the '83. I REALLY didn't want to sink a bunch of money into this factory stock 305. However, if I have to replace the CAM, maybe I can do some simple upgrades to add a bit of pep to the motor while I'm in there. Heck, Swap meets have tons of stuff! Thought I would float the option out there and ask your opinion. CAM ideas? Intake? Carburetor? Other? I'm not looking to make a race car out of it yet, but I'm open to some simple ideas. I wouldn't mind a CAM with a bit of bump if it does not cause havoc with anything else.

Thanks,
Russ

bygddy

Apprentice
Mar 8, 2014
So first a disclaimer,if a cam is wasted, the motor needs to come apart, period... that metal went somewhere and it will show up when your oil pressure sh*ts the bed.
That out of the way, if its a zero cost swap meet parts deal, then look for something in 260h range for a cam, 212/212@050
440/440, pull the heads and slip in a felpro 1094 head gasket to bump compression.
Then find a performer intake, normally I default to a performer RPM, but the nature of this cam I think a performer would work, and they are usually sub $50 at swap meets. Try a 1" four hole spacer under it. Use the Qjet you likely have now and go with it. If you don't already have them get swap meet long tube headers and call it good.
This would make a fun little motor and can be done for pennies.

tetomas

Greasemonkey
Nov 24, 2012
east central georiga
bygddy said:
So first a disclaimer,if a cam is wasted, the motor needs to come apart, period... that metal went somewhere and it will show up when your oil pressure sh*ts the bed.
That out of the way, if its a zero cost swap meet parts deal, then look for something in 260h range for a cam, 212/212@050
440/440, pull the heads and slip in a felpro 1094 head gasket to bump compression.
Then find a performer intake, normally I default to a performer RPM, but the nature of this cam I think a performer would work, and they are usually sub $50 at swap meets. Try a 1" four hole spacer under it. Use the Qjet you likely have now and go with it. If you don't already have them get swap meet long tube headers and call it good.
This would make a fun little motor and can be done for pennies.
I disagree. Just because the cam was worn out, does not mean the engins HAS to come apart.I worked for a GM dealer in the heyday of the sh***y cams. I have replaced cams in engines with less than 10,000 miles on them, change the stick and lifters, change the oil and filter and let it roll. These engines ran to over 100,000 miles after the cam change. That being said the rest of bygddy's advice is on the money, and should net a fair increase in performance over stock.

BPTTONE420012

G-Body Guru
Jan 20, 2014
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CT
i ran a 305 in my 82 non ss and she hauled *ss... i'd say, if you dont already have them, get a set of 416 heads, they are badass for 305's... also, if its a SLOW wear on the cam, then no need to pull the whole motor apart... definitely, get a set of headers, stock exhaust manifolds leave far too much power on the table... hell, i thought my 305 was a 350 when i bought my car, it had that much power, even after pulling it out and checking the numbers i still didnt believe it was a 305... dont count those little 305's short, they can make some decent numbers...

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I have seen many failed cams in the sbc, although I thought GM had it fixed by the early 80's. Many including my ex BIL cars ran fine after cam replacement. Supposedly his cam had broke in half in his 81 Monte Carlo. As long as oil pressure and compression are decent, get a mild upgrade.

rmorman

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2008
Perry, IA
Thanks everybody! While I don't plan on this motor being in there for the long haul, it will likely be at least 5 years before I get to something different. LOTS of good suggestions! I will use them! If money was no object, I'd like to put in a 700R4 and maybe some 4:10 gears. However, I think these suggestions will get me pointed in the right direction.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor