Ford solenoid wiring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ham1974

Greasemonkey
Oct 6, 2012
Well i picked up a solenoid today so I can wire the car up tomorrow. My car will have the battery in the trunk and a msd ignition ( summit racing brand) with separate coil. Does anyone have a schematic for wiring this type of set up? I have the original starter and alternator wiring intact but will be running a 1 wire alternator. Also what is a good location for the ignition box? I have heat and ac removed from car and was thinking about putting it in glove box. The picture shows an HEI that is not in the car now.
IMG_0900.jpg

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have my MSD 7al-3 mounted to my glove box door and it works great, I'm sure pontiacgp will post some wiring schematics for you.

ham1974

Greasemonkey
Oct 6, 2012
So the msd and the alternator will wire to the battery side of the solenoid? or the starter side?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
So the msd and the alternator will wire to the battery side of the solenoid? or the starter side?
Battery side for constant hot. Switched hot will have to come from the bulkhead connector.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ham1974

Greasemonkey
Oct 6, 2012
So I would hook the original wire from fuse block to starter to the starter side of solenoid to power fuse block?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The wire from the bulkhead connector that provides +12V to the starter solenoid (original GM one) when the key is turned to start needs to be connected to the "S" terminal on the Ford style solenoid.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor