G-body cousin S truck "Barn find"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Hmmm hadn't thought of that. There was only a couple gallons in the tank I think, it was at about 1/8 tank on the gauge. I put in near 6 gallons which brought it up closer to half a tank. So far so good driving for maybe 5-10 minuites around the neighborhood. I was thinking once it's registered to run it around town enough to run out what's in it then put in another maybe 5 or so gallons and repeat and continue to dilute and flush it out. :unsure:
You might get away with it, but I wouldn't try it. I've heard about this phenomenon more than a few times. That dark stuff is not good to run.

Reactions: 2 users

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
Finally after jumping through some paperwork hoops that come with buying a car from the family of someone who's passed away, Gary the S15 is finally registered in my name. We've put near 100 miles on it in 2 days just putting around town to clean out the old gas, so far it runs great with no mechanical issues and seems to be getting around 15 mpg in town. Now that it's registered and legally mine the fun begins! 😎 I'm hoping to have everything done to it that I want to and attend the 2022 Pro Touring Truck Shootout in AZ which I believe is in April. More coming soon!

IMG_8411.JPG

Reactions: 5 users

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
I pick up little mascots for all my cars to put on the dash or hang from the mirror, something goofy I like to do to remind me it's ok to still think like a kid sometimes. I named this truck Gary because it'll be the slowest vehicle I own, so I bought this to hang from the mirror, lol.

IMG_8412.JPG

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Glad to see and hear, hope it all goes smoothly

LeftLaneOnly

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2020
Just gunna toss this out there

Glass gas filters scare the crap out of me.

I Like the ride good luck with it.

Reactions: 1 user

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
I hear ya Leftlane. I only use the clear plastic filters. On this truck 2-3 feet of fuel line keeps it away from any danger, and allowed me to put it between the tank and pump. I ran out the first few gallons mixture of the old and some new gas and swapped in a new filter when I put new gas in. The first one is in my hand and the new one has already collected some crud too. I'm definitely going to clean the tank out and replace the sock filter and the rubber lines when warmer weather gets here.

IMG_8413.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
A couple of updates-

Front tires are 195-75-14s and I wanted to have a little more meat out back so I took some 215-70-15s I had from a parts car and mounted them on some 15x7 steelies. I wanted to do something with the wheel color too, black wheels are starting to lose some pizzaz for me and they blend in too much with the tires so I used Rustoleum "Sand" rattle paint to brighten them up. With the truck's paint faded the wheels look slightly darker but I buffed the fuel filler door to see if the paint will buff out and once it's shiny the body and wheel color matches fairly well. With the tan wheels it gives the truck a whole different feel, and I think once lowered the tan wheels will look pretty decent. I'm planning to drive it this way until it warms up and I can paint the lower belt line and down brown, at that point I'll bolt on the Firebird wheels.

Wheel Colors.jpg

Despite already replacing the fuel hoses today I found a steady fuel drip on the driveway while idling. Unfortunately the fuel pump itself is leaking, best I can tell it's from where the top and bottom halves are formed together. I wonder if sitting so long some internal seal is bad or something. Looks like a fairly easy job so I'll plan to swap that this weekend. I also decided since any events I might take the truck to will involve a road trip, instead of putting much effort into cleaning out this 13 gallon tank I'm just going to buy a new 20 gallon tank and swap that in. They run about $120 shipped which I figure is reasonable, saving me some time and/or the cost to have it professionally cleaned out.

The more I drive it the more I'm itching for more torque, i.e. a small block swap, it really is pretty slow in mellow cruise mode. We live at the top of a pretty decent climb hill too and it has to work a bit to drive up. I'm really missing the give it just a slight bit of throttle and you're good to go V8 motorvation my other cars have. Maybe the future holds an upgrade sooner than I may have expected. :unsure:

Reactions: 2 users

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
I finally had time to sit down and get a rendering for it completed. I also ordered custom plates, I had to do two choices so I put 80SVIBE and then 85 STYLN on the application. Most of my stuff is Pro Touring modern styling but for this build I'm shooting for a flashback to the glory days of late 1980s high school and maybe what it would've looked like if I owned it then.

Gary S15 z14.jpg

Driving updates:
Man is this thing slow, like I'm already over it, lol. I still have to do a tune up and mod the exhaust and all but I don't expect that'll make much difference, I can't even imagine a smaller V6 in a heavier G-body! It does cruise nicely once you get going, I think that's the only redeeming quality of this little engine.

Mod updates:
The RPO code says I already have the larger fuel tank. No one locally that I can find cleans tanks, it's "Yeah we can replace it for $$$", so looks like I'm going to try to clean out the tank I have. Once I crack it open and see what's going on worst case scenario is I buy a new one anyway.

Last weekend I drove down to AZ to meet fellow S10 owner, TJ Tomlin. His wicked truck (below) is pretty much serious autocross only now so he had a bunch of old parts I picked up off him. Suspension parts include ZQ8 Xtreme sway bars, Blazer dual piston calipers and rotors, and Ridetech upper control arms with tall ball joints. For visuals he had a pair of factory driving lights with brackets and a pair of taillights with the black border like I wanted. The plan is this coming Saturday I'm going to pop the bed off and swap in the Belltech 3" lowered springs, 3" blocks, air shocks, and remove and clean the fuel tank and replace all the rubber hoses back there. I also picked up a new black step bumper I'll install and I'm going to see if custom fabbing a trailer hitch receiver behind the license plate is doable. I think if I run it below the bumper it'll just be too low.

IMG_8420 14 72.jpg

IMG_8423.jpg

The following weekend will be swapping everything on the front suspension and modding the exhaust for better flow. After that comes the tune up and carb rebuild. That'll probably do it until it warms up enough to do all the paint updates.

Reactions: 4 users

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
TJ said he let his body guy design them, and he may have done things a little differently but overall it stands out and covers those massive 315s so overall he's happy with it. I may have designed the widebody a little different as well, but I like it because it's unique and is out of the box thinking. I'm thinking this truck will set the pace for some future builds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor