GNX Body bushings

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlumCrazy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 23, 2010
I am trying to solve a mystery on a project car that I picked up, mid restoration. Every nut, bolt and bushing on the frame are new.

The body bushings were replaced with GM OEM stuff and the rad support bushings are now sitting about 3/4" off of the frame rail when the front clip is lined up.

So, I was wondering if anyone has or has installed the GNX OEM bushing kit http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_i...d=543&osCsid=f8862062b4084db16abb10a5d3ecdfda that could take a measurement of the bushing heights so that I can compare to the ones that I have. Are they all the same height, or no? Or maybe we can compare numbers off of the bushings.

I'm considering just buying the $325 kit so that I am absolutely certain that the bushings are correct. This car is a cutlass, not a GNX so it's not about making sure the correct parts are on it. I just want the body to mount up correctly.

Thanks for any input that you may be able to offer.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Re: GNX Bodu bushings

I've used the Energy Suspension urethane bushing kit. Of course it doesn't come with new bolts, but all the frame bushings and washers are there...including the #5 position (GNX) bushing.

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan

PlumCrazy,
Just a thought, is your car on jack stands? If so, are the stands under the frame, just behind the front wheels and just in front of the rear wheels? The frame can flex that much if the car is on the stands.

Doug

PlumCrazy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 23, 2010

oldtinsmith said:
PlumCrazy,
Just a thought, is your car on jack stands? If so, are the stands under the frame, just behind the front wheels and just in front of the rear wheels? The frame can flex that much if the car is on the stands.

Doug

Yes the car is on stands. Under the front cross member and the frame just in front of the rear wheels.
The fitment of the nose was the same with the wheels on the ground.

I've been looking at other Gbody cars to see the relationship of the seam on the body under the doors to the frame rail and this one seems to ride a little higher than most cars. I don't know is that is due to degradation of their old bushings of because mine are the wrong GM bushings.

Can anyone offer a measure of an un-installed bushing height? Or a number off of a GM body bushing?

Thanks again.

Ian

PlumCrazy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 23, 2010
Here are a few pics of my situation.

Passenger Rad support mount
DSCF0077.jpg

Passenger rad support mount
DSCF0076.jpg

Passenger rad support mount with a bearing as a spacer
IMG_5093.jpg

Drivers side #2 position bushing
IMG_5091.jpg

Relationship of body seam to frame rail
IMG_5095.jpg

The project as I acquired it
DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
PlumCrazy,
FYI ! Over at Monte Carlo SS.com, in the forum list, under "rolling chassis", is a sticky: " Body Bushings" by Matts Monte.
It's quite long and in depth. Maybe it will answer your questions.

Doug

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
im running into the same situation on my regal, i swapped frames and went to all poly bushings. my problem is i have no motor or interior so i think the weight may be causing it. may also need washers installed, the factory did that to fill the gaps from what i have noticed on the cars i have worked on.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
To properly align the front body clip you need to have the engine in and the interior with the car sitting on it's wheels since if it's up on axle stands the frame will droop in the front. My frame was boxed and all the factory seam welds were improved and the front frame clip still sagged. GM did use shims to pick up any gap but the gap you have is more than what you supposed to have. I assume the rest of the body mount bolts have been torqued to spec?

PlumCrazy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 23, 2010
pontiacgp said:
To properly align the front body clip you need to have the engine in and the interior with the car sitting on it's wheels since if it's up on axle stands the frame will droop in the front. My frame was boxed and all the factory seam welds were improved and the front frame clip still sagged. GM did use shims to pick up any gap but the gap you have is more than what you supposed to have. I assume the rest of the body mount bolts have been torqued to spec?

I agree. Those body bushing pics were taken with the engine in it and more crap stuffed in the interior than it would actually weigh. The other body mounts were indeed torqued at the time of the pics. But I have conflicting data on the torque specs.

The Oldsmobile chassis manual says that all the mounts should be torqued to 27 ft.lbs. other sources say 52 ft.lbs. for all mounts.

Visual inspection with a flashlight indicates that the one that I can see are the correct mounts, but I think that I am going to just lift the entire body and remove all of the mounts so that I am absolutely certain of what I am starting with. That stinks, but I have to be sure.

I also have to decide on a torque spec. 27 or 50.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The torque spec is in the 52 ft lb. range. Infact, I think I might have torqued mine closer to 55 ft lbs...except for the core support.
Someone a while back had also encountered the excessive gaps between bushing and frame, but never heard what the solution was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor