Gray Man, Inc.

Outback engine is in and running. Sounds good. It's been through 2 heat cycles. I'll do one more in the morning and do an oil change. I've got a set of tires, wheel bearings, and hood struts on order. Then a detail.
It'll look great in someone else's garage.

Just how wide is that engine, or, is it some sort of optical illusion?

Reactions: 1 user
Pretty wide. But you can put you hand between the valve cover and rail once it's installed. Subarus have an unconventional layout but they're one of the easiest cars to work on.

Reactions: 2 users
Pretty wide. But you can put you hand between the valve cover and rail once it's installed. Subarus have an unconventional layout but they're one of the easiest cars to work on.
Surprised to hear that. I was thinking that must have been a nightmare job.

Reactions: 1 users

Anything with consumable rod bearings needs to be easy to work on.

Reactions: 1 user
They really aren't bad. I was just taking my time and probably had about 10 hours in this one.

I did countless headgaskets on these back in the day. I'd pull the car in just before quitting time and start draining fluids. The next morning I'd drop the exhaust and pull lower bellhousing bolts and motor mounts. Then drop the car on the ground to remove the stuff on top. Pull the fans and sometimes the radiator. PS and AC flop to each side. Alt and intake come off, then pull the rubber access cover for torque converter bolts. Lastly, remove the 2 top bellhousing bolts and the starter.

Once it's on the stand, everything goes pretty fast. Install is reverse of removal. Top off fluids and fire it up before going home. Test drive and leak check in the morning.

I had a coworker (absolute thrasher) do 2 in a day just to prove he could. I was always more concerned with not having comebacks.

Reactions: 2 users
They really aren't bad. I was just taking my time and probably had about 10 hours in this one.

I did countless headgaskets on these back in the day. I'd pull the car in just before quitting time and start draining fluids. The next morning I'd drop the exhaust and pull lower bellhousing bolts and motor mounts. Then drop the car on the ground to remove the stuff on top. Pull the fans and sometimes the radiator. PS and AC flop to each side. Alt and intake come off, then pull the rubber access cover for torque converter bolts. Lastly, remove the 2 top bellhousing bolts and the starter.

Once it's on the stand, everything goes pretty fast. Install is reverse of removal. Top off fluids and fire it up before going home. Test drive and leak check in the morning.

I had a coworker (absolute thrasher) do 2 in a day just to prove he could. I was always more concerned with not having comebacks.
Still have a soft spot for the old awd XTs...never owned one, but always kinda wanted to.

Ahh yes, Subaru's answer to the Prelude. They were pretty much just a GL under the skin.

I guess I never really finished up the cabin updates. It's mostly done and she's moved in. As such, no current pics of the inside to respect her privacy. The bar top got dark stain and sealer before being installed at the edge of the platform above the barstools.

Tile backslash and fancy faucet installed in the kitchen. Then I built the flip-up steps (hinges not installed in pic).

After the first 20 degree night, we found an exterior water line that needed more insulation. Other than that, it's been issue-free. She bought a stack unit washer and dryer that will get installed in the shop soon. The last item will be a small deck outside the front door. She's cash flowing the whole project, so it'll probably be a few weeks until it's completely done.

Reactions: 3 users
This guy showed up a couple weeks ago down by the cabin. He was hobbling around on 3 legs and I was hoping he was a hobo just passing thru. Unfortunately, he moved in and my wife caught wind. Now he's permanant. Apparently his femur was broken off at the pelvis. Ouch.
No collar or chip but he's about the friendliest cat I've ever seen.

I finally got around to cleaning out the Dorsett. Most of the debris was just garbage but there was some standard boat stuff worth saving. Some bumpers, stainless cleats, dock lights, etc. I pressure washed the interior and drained the bilge, then towed it down to the shop and tucked it away to dry out. I've also been to DMV and gotten all the paperwork sorted, including the previously undocumented trailer. All mine now.

Reactions: 6 users
It looks as though the cat has found itself a nice home. I can't say as much for those chickens since mom-in-law is taking the house.

• Haha

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor