Gray Man, Inc.

He's been wiring that '37 pickup. He tries to work on it two hours a day. I'd be surprised if it isn't running and driveable before 2024.

Reactions: 2 users
Supervibe isn't officially retired yet but I picked up its replacement a couple days ago. I've been looking for a pretty specific combination of options so I had to travel over 1000 miles to get it home.

I've ordered up some things to get it trimmed out for work. I'll update as I go.

Supervibe isn't officially retired yet but I picked up its replacement a couple days ago. I've been looking for a pretty specific combination of options so I had to travel over 1000 miles to get it home.

I've ordered up some things to get it trimmed out for work. I'll update as I go.
I thought you already had a supervibe replacement?

I did. The Forester I bought was going to fill that role. I fixed all the used car surprises and set it up with an inverter and additional charge ports for all my work gear. Even put a hitch on it to occasionally pull my little motorcycle trailer. I drove it a little but just never fell in love with it. It's kind of a gas hog for how small it is too. My daughter had been wanting to upgrade for awhile so I offered it to her for what I was in it. I bought it pretty right so she got a good deal on a car I knew could be trusted.

This is my 3rd Venza, so I'm pretty comfortable with the platform. I drive about 50,000 miles a year for work and just about every time I leave home is a thousand mile trip. Reliability and ease of basic repairs is the 1st consideration. The 1AR 2.7 in this one is really accessible. Its a larger displacement version of the 2.5 Camry engine of the era. I can replace a coil, injector, cam or crank sensor, starter, or alternator in a parking lot without a jack if I need to. If it gets more serious than that I'll be in trouble.

AWD is a must because I do a lot of mountain pass driving. When DOT requires chains, AWD vehicles are exempt. I carry chains anyway but hate using them. It came with a pretty new set of Michelin Defenders on it, which is nice. Lift gate is necessary so I can still work outside in rain and snow but shelter my laptop and equipment. A Plano plastic tote is my desk top and carries extra work gear.
20231230_085055.jpg

I went to DMV yesterday and made it legal. Then a trip through the car wash. Stopped at the locksmith and got a 2nd key made, then grabbed new wipers and oil change supplies.

I have OEM Toyota all-weather floor mats coming, as well as the carpet for the cargo are. It came with a Husky Liner, but no carpet. I also ordered a set of OEM tire pressure sensors to fix the TPMS light. I'll install the same inverter and USB ports that I put in the Forester. Hitch and wiring are ordered too.

Paperwork indicates that it was a trade-in at a Nissan dealership, then wholesaled to the lot where I got it.
The biggest thing it needs is an interior detail. Everything is just grimey but the carpet is surprisingly clean. The detail shop that prepped the Outback did a really nice job so I'll see what they can do for this.
20231230_090349.jpg
20231230_090259.jpg

This combination is actually pretty tough to find. The 1st-gen Venza didn't have trim levels until the last couple years, it was just a hodge-podge of random options. AWD with heated leather, and Panoramic (all tinted glass) roof is rare with a 4-cylinder. Most 4-cyl Venzas were FWD with cloth interior and solid roof. My wife's loaded AWD V-6 is much more common.

Reactions: 6 users
I spent a couple hours doing maintenance catch-up today. Wipers, oil change, transmission drain and fill, air and cabin filters. I think I found the source of the faint musty smell. Gross.
20231230_154453.jpg

It looks to be mechanically solid, with the exception of oozing rear axle seals. I'll run it for awhile to see how bad they are. Most of my upgrades should be delivered by next weekend. Still really needs an interior detail.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Got my white TW put back together today. Was going to ride to the gas station but noticed some dislodged spokes. Crazy, I've never had loose or broken spokes in 100,000 miles between these 2 TWs, my Goldwing, and Indian. This happened on my last ride.
20231230_161104.jpg

Anyway, it's all fixed now. I've got new Maiers plastics installed. This one is ready to go.
20231230_155418.jpg
20231230_155549.jpg

Blue bike is waiting for an output seal before I can finish the engine swap.

I ran out of welding wire so I can finish my extended swingarms. Pics when they're done.

Reactions: 4 users
Venza looks nice. I've always liked them. What year is it?

That cabin filter was ripe.

2009. They didn't change much from 2009-2015. There was a mid-run refresh to the grille and they splashed a little more chrome trim on some of the later ones. All they changed in the interior is the portion with wood in mine and the radio. 4-cyl cars all got 10 spoke wheels, V-6 cars got 5 spoke. Typical Toyota conservative (lazy) updates.

Reactions: 1 user
Finished the wiring and fired it up today.
20240105_115734.jpg

It sounds really good and everything seems to work. Now he needs to tidy everything up and put the interior back together. The cooling system needs buttoned up before it can be driven.

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users
Finished the wiring and fired it up today.View attachment 233230

It sounds really good and everything seems to work. Now he needs to tidy everything up and put the interior back together. The cooling system needs buttoned up before it can be driven.
He's doing what I want to do (flipping old cars). The interior that is there looks great!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor