Had to delete ECM now I'm stuck. Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSpev

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2017
Good for you! At least you have made it some where useful.
I'm wondering if I should start looking at a different engine. Im not sure if this issue could be caused by something internal or not. I have a new timing chain I can install and an entire gasket set. I'm just wondering what other people's opinion is. The engine itself sounds smooths and rides great when she is driving other than the back fire. No knocks ticks if anything of the such. Starts great and all. Just wondering if the engine is worth putting the time and effort into it or if I should try to find a decent 350 or maybe what I want a 383 stroker. Thank you all again.
In a word NO! ..... unless you just want a bigger engine:cool:
Probably nothing wrong internally, unless someone has been in there. CHECK THE PLUG WIRES / FIRING ORDER! like all have said
This may be harsh :cautious: If you can't or won't check for TDC and correct firing order you can't be helped. sorry. this is a critical step.
Now When this is done and OTHER EXTERNAL check are done we can move to the inside stuff, timing chain, cam, dist gear.
FYI finding #1 the way I said before and checking where the rotor points may help tell if there is a timing chain /gear issue

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I want to thank everyone for the help. I went and zip tied all my wires back so nothing would be near any moving parts, got in my car, started it and drive it away. Was even able to go toss my 98 TL1000R in the back to get all 3 of us home. She is still doing the same as she was before but at least she is home. Both of them. She is still backfiring through the carb. It has completely eluded me as to what this issue is. I have followed the hose routing diagram from under the hood and in the Chilton, replaced all vacuum lines even if they weren't suspect just replaced them, have gaskets on exhaust manifolds, intake gasket carb and still she is doing the same thing. Right now I have some extra money coming in. I'm wondering if I should start looking at a different engine. Im not sure if this issue could be caused by something internal or not. I have a new timing chain I can install and an entire gasket set. I'm just wondering what other people's opinion is. The engine itself sounds smooths and rides great when she is driving other than the back fire. No knocks ticks if anything of the such. Starts great and all. Just wondering if the engine is worth putting the time and effort into it or if I should try to find a decent 350 or maybe what I want a 383 stroker. Thank you all again.
Good for you! At least you have made it some where useful.

In a word NO! ..... unless you just want a bigger engine:cool:
Probably nothing wrong internally, unless someone has been in there. CHECK THE PLUG WIRES / FIRING ORDER! like all have said
This may be harsh :cautious: If you can't or won't check for TDC and correct firing order you can't be helped. sorry. this is a critical step.
Now When this is done and OTHER EXTERNAL check are done we can move to the inside stuff, timing chain, cam, dist gear.
FYI finding #1 the way I said before and checking where the rotor points may help tell if there is a timing chain /gear issue

X2 with this ^^^^^ (imagine me yelling this!)

You are in need of some really basic tools and basic knowledge. The tools consist of a timing light, vacuum gauge and a compression test gauge. The knowledge part is what we can help you with, but you have to answer questions that are asked and follow a directive when given. And, if you don't understand the question, then ask - there is nothing wrong with asking even if you feel it makes you look foolish - you have to understand what you're being directed to do and why someone advised of that. In that process your level of knowledge will grow.

It's always an issue finding someone that you can trust in terms of their knowledge, this place is as good as any due to there aren't any real nit wits here. Most everyone on this forum is decent and helpful.

Regarding the tools I mentioned above, I use all of those tools on everything including EFI turbo stuff - the same basic tools and principles apply to every gasoline engine.

So, you're at a point where you need to confirm the basics 1st. That means a compression test. Record the readings and post back. If you're unclear how to perform it correctly, then report back.

Reactions: 1 users

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
TheDiggsmang, first of all, what's your name? Let's start there...I've been following this thread and you need some serious help with getting your Elky purring again. Many of the others have been providing great information.

I'm going to take another approach. It seems you're limited in automotive repair experience/knowledge and need someone to physically assist you. This is not meant as a putdown but just my observation. I must say that your project is overwhelming because it appears a lot of folks have had their hands in the wiring and any attempts at engine modifications.

Here's my suggestion:

Find a local Craigslist, post an ad to ask for help from someone with knowledge and willing to come over and lend a hand. Explain briefly, what your problem is and, hopefully, someone will come to your rescue. Several years ago, I did this when I needed help with tuning and reprogramming of the computer in my modified '92 S-10. Luckily, someone responded and he was able to get my truck running. In so doing, I learned a lot also.

Good luck!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor