HAFRODs 78 Aeroback Salon build

Status
Not open for further replies.
DRIVEN said:
Glad you're keeping it. Bummed I have to wait to see it finished.

same here! be sure to start a thread with the '55! 8)

I've had the Salon under my car port with a car cover on it. We should be getting some snow and ice soon so I cleaned up my two car garage and moved the 55 over. I rolled it in beside it. Now both our daily new cars wont get covered in snow being under the car port. Today I pushed the 55 out in the driveway and pulled off the salons car cover. In 5 hours, I repaired the passenger side rear window area that had rust. I cut out the bad and welded in new. I wiped it with All Metal and sanded it down. I rolled it outside and used my sandblaster on the windshield and rear window channels. They had flaking paint. This thing is almost ready for paint but I think I'm going to put a couple more coats of 2K urethane primer on and block it again. My wife has set in for the new Hell Cat Challenger. We are thinking of trading both our daily drivers in on it. This would put me without a car so I may have to finish the Salon for my daily. I think I can finish it in about 30 days. The bad thing is, my 55 is already pre registered and the hotel reservations are made in August for the Tri 5 Nationals in Kentucky. Now I'm in a heck of a dilemma. I hate working on cars in the cold but looks like I better fire up the propane shop heater.

My plan is to try to finish bodywork on the shell and doors tomorrow and spot prime those. Then the next day 180 dry block the spots and prime the entire shell and doors. I'm wiping the rockers with body filler cause they seem pretty wavy.

It was a GOOD day! I went and got an energy drink and a pack of those energy pills at the counter. Took one pill and downed the NOS. It wound me up and I dang near got it ready for spot priming. I got half the drivers door left. I 180 dry blocked everything. Found several dings and chips and finished them. I ended up wiping the bottom of the drivers door cause it was waving at me. It was COLD today but stayed busy sanding and actually started sweating. Gonna do it all over again tomorrow.

Been out there sanding the door jambs and noticed something bad. The inside structure of the door at the top was bent inward toward the outer door skin. I climbed inside and pulled on it pretty hard and got it back straight. Got back out and checked the door fit to quarter and it was now off. I twisted the door and got that fixed and noticed a crack at the front of the door top. I sliced it with a cut off wheel and welded it back up. I'm glad I noticed this before paint because the door glass would have not went in. Dodged a bullet

I removed the door lock rods and all latches. Also drilled the rivets out so I could remove the rubber flaps that protect the latch from water. I had some flaking paint around the factory rivets and wanted a solid paint foundation. I'll reattach those with stainless button heads and nylon lock nuts. I already bought stainless allen countersinks for the door claw latches to door. It is cloudy today and colder than yesterday so my work is slow. My ears are cold and nose is running. I had a beanie on but it was making my head sweat. I don't know if I'm going to get the spot priming done today or not. The door problem took some time. Oh well, whats another day right??? :blam:

I'm trying to hide it that I'm back working on it again. All my friends and family care about, is the 55 more than this Olds. I'd heard through the grapevine one of my friends said that the Olds would never run again. Still shooting for about 30 days to finish or get it close to finished. I'm going to invite a few friends including the aforementioned to lunch and show up in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor