HAFRODs 78 Aeroback Salon build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lookin' forward to seeing how your kick panel speaker enclosures turn out. Would you use the stock panels as a mold, or build on them?

Longroof79 said:
Lookin' forward to seeing how your kick panel speaker enclosures turn out. Would you use the stock panels as a mold, or build on them?
Yeah, gonna use the originals so they fit right.

HAFROD said:
Longroof79 said:
Yeah, gonna use the originals so they fit right.
Okay, thanks. Just curious.

My wife found some items in our ebay watch list and bought them for me. Merry Christmas to me! :mrgreen: I got a repro set of 74-75 442 fender emblems. I'm going to put them on my upper door panels where originals would go. There is an original set (used) on ebay but one has a broken tab and I would have to restore them. So I bought new for cheaper and less work. Also the numbers are connected like they should be for my 78 so its custom but appears as stock. They are a bit bigger but I think they'll be fine. I got a new in the box trunk release button for the glove box. My original buttons lettering is gone. This is my OCD in HD cause that would drive me crazy having everything look new and that be worn looking. I have removed my glove box lock cylinder and the plastic tray from the back. This way the glove box door will be painted separately. So when the glove box is open, it should look showroom new in there. The other thing I got is a door jamb decal set. All my old decals were removed for fresh paint. I did not get the correct white and silver ones. There is a guy on there that sells blanks but were I think $35 each and said you need a type writer to fill them out. I don't know anyone with a typewriter and $70 is just too much. I got a set for 1/3 the price that's probably for a Chevelle or some other older GM vehicle. Its a blue rectangle that said a bunch of conforming crap but will look like its correct for the car. It also comes with the metallic blue GM square decal. At least the jamb will have something there. Here's the decal set http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-GM-Door-J ... 4b&vxp=mtr

I started on my kick panel about an hour ago. I don't have any woodworking tools except a jig saw and an air brad nailer. I had to triple stack panels so the speaker would sink below the carpet face I'm going to put in it. Used some carpenters adhesive on them and hopefully tomorrow I can take off the clamps. That strip of carpet is the same width as the carpet insert on the bottom of the door panels. It will be in a straight line so it will carry through nicely. I'll probably angle the face plate slightly for better sound. I'm hopefully going to get the cloth glued on and the resin spread on tomorrow if its not raining.

Day started out like crap. My air powered brad nailer is not working. I had loaned it out a couple years ago and have not used it since. I messed with it for a half hour and still no good. It went in the trash. I used Loctite power grab to fasten the risers to the face panel and the kick panel. I made it simple on my risers using 1", 1 1/2", and 2" measurements. It gave it a pretty nice angle. It takes 24 hours to dry so it will be postponed. I'm a bit worried about my left side with the emergency brake. I have it removed so I got to dig it out and mock it up.

That's too bad, man. Looks like you were on the right path, too.

It has been cloudy and misting rain for 4 days here. So irritated cause I cant push the 55 out to work on the Olds. Too much bare metal exposed. I loaded up my tools and went to my local U pull salvage yard. They have not had G bodies in at least a year so I quit going. On the first row was an 82 Cutlass. It was destroyed where people did not unscrew anything and just tore stuff up. It did yield me some pieces though. I found a really nice LH door latch, sunvisors, the crossbars in front of the core support, a lot of nice chrome interior screws, the door jamb vents, door jamb seat belt retractors, and the factory wiring for the electric trunk release. That was the only G body there. There was an 84 Z28 that had the original air cleaner. It has the air inlet on the left and that's what I need for my cold air set up.

I got up in my attic doing a mega search through my g-body spare parts and found a pair of Kenwood 6x9s that I forgot I had. They were in a car I bought and sold. I swapped them cause they sounded so nice. Opened a box and there they were with a complete JVC CD changer. The salon rear deck takes 6x9s too! WooHoo. I may use that changer since I'm going to use the stock radio. It was out of a 94 Chevy truck I had. It had a stock radio also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor