HAFRODs 78 Aeroback Salon build

Status
Not open for further replies.
DRIVEN said:
HAFROD said:
I'd heard through the grapevine one of my friends said that the Olds would never run again.
Reason enough right there.

x2! kinda the same boat, the wife thinks I'll never get the regal done.... may have said it to get me motivated though!

Its 39 degrees on my cars thermometer so I'm going to hit the highway. I'd heard of a place that chromes rigid plastic that's about an hour drive. I'm going to take my bucket seat chrome bezels and one of my original grilles to see if they'll do them. I had bought one new in the box Genuine GM grille from ebay. I'm hoping its not too expensive for rechroming plastic cause I'd like to get my headlight and taillight bezels rechromed too. They are pretty nice after I polished them but nothing beats fresh chrome. On the way is an automotive paint store and I'm taking my new seat cover to see if they'll custom mix me some vinyl paint. None of the SEM spray can tan colors match my new seat covers. I have to dye/paint everything in the interior. I'm going to get a 1/2 gallon mixed and hopefully that's enough. I had bought a few tan colors to test so the parts that are dark colored will get shot with the cans first. That way it wont take as much of the custom mixed stuff. My dash is dark blue, the lower door panels are dark maroon, and I had sprayed bedliner on my rear quarter plastics to hide the sun damage so now they're black.

Definitely looking forward to seeing how the chrome pieces turn out!
I got a really nice pair of grilles, but I'd love to get my headlite bezels done too.
Lord knows they'll never get repopped...

Bad news, the rechrome shop was no longer in business. I did go to a vinyl sign shop and asked about chrome vinyl to wrap these parts. He said there is a chrome that you can wrap a car in but for a 36"x12" piece was $100. He's never tried it but is going to get a sample piece that we can try. He said he thinks it will work. He had regular chrome but it won't flex and he tried a piece to show me. So hopefully that fixes the chrome issue. The auto paint store I went to today is owned by an older couple that used to have a store here. The guys wife would custom mix me vinyl dye that would be an awesome match to whatever color material I would take them. I left my vinyl seat cover there and told her to take her time and a week would be fine if she needed that much time. She gave me an estimate of $120 for a gallon. I figured a gallon should do everything and hopefully have some left over for touchups when needed. Its about a 45 minute drive but will be worth it. I grabbed 4 tubes of urethane window weld and the glass primer. I try to do the best I can on whatever I'm building and sometimes problem solving can be fun. I want the interior to look showroom new, the engine compartment to look like a smoothed street rod but stock appearing, and the exterior to be color sanded and buffed to a show quality finish. Hell, the only crappy part will be the chassis and that's gonna drive me nuts. I just don't have the time and space to pull that chassis and blast/paint it. The front frame stub looks like I already did though :mrgreen:

I respect your resourcefulness and attention to detail. Glad you're feeling better, keep up the good work, and keep reporting in! I've been watching the progress and appreciate your investment of time. Zen and the Art of Auto Restoration... Om.

I'm going to drive to Tulsa in the morning to an upholstery supply and buy a couple yards of headliner material. Got to find someone to reupholster my sunvisors. After I get it painted and buffed, I want to install the headliner through the windshield opening. They suck trying to fish out of the door opening.

Got my headliner material and bought me some nice hog ring pliers and a pound of hog rings to put on my new seat covers. It was only $47 but my parents have an account there so there was a discount. I'm wanting to cover my rear deck panel with carpet but they had nothing even close to my carpet sample from ACC. There is another upholstery supply I'm going to try but it started sleeting so I came home.

I had a brainstorm last week that by the time its done will cost me a bit under $100. Its mainly a detail that I wanted. I love the Buicks Concert Sound II door speaker grilles with those emblems/nameplates and having the mid speakers is a nice addition to the stock sound system. About 10 years ago, me and a buddy were hitting junk yards for G body parts. I just happened to find a big Buick or Cadillac (cant remember), but it had the door speaker grilles that are bigger and had the Concert Sound II emblems. I snagged the emblems and they've been in a box ever since. Long story short, I'm going to build fiberglass speaker enclosures on the original kick panels and have a carpeted section cover the speaker. I'm going to use those emblems. So it will look fairly stock with the emblems. The main body of the kick panel will be vinyl dyed. I'm using small sections from the ACC carpet kit so it will match. I did not want 6 1/2" speakers cause they're too bulky looking down there. I went with Pioneer 4" cause by the time I cut out the center for the speaker to screw in, the carpet piece I'm using as an insert is just right proportioned. I bought a 2x2 ft 1/4" thick section of birch, a couple pieces of 3/8x2x24 sticks to use as the risers, a quart of fiberglass resin, brush, cup, can of super trim glue and a yard of speaker grille cloth. Should be kinda cool and G-body guys will know that emblem when they see it at shows

• Winner
Reactions: Andebe
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor