HAFRODs 78 Aeroback Salon build

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I've spent all day replacing the door window felt strips with the thinner beaded ones. Also removed the new Trim Parts roof rail seals and installed Soffseal roof rail seals. Better quality. Getting the windows to seal to them was a pain in *ss. I had to drill some new holes for the roof rail seal tracks because of non touching areas at the rear. Also, every adjustment for the door glasses were changed from their factory positions. This is from sagging factory body mounts and my realignment of the doors to body. Very pleased with the re sealing. It's not GM but I got everything to work together. If you want to see my roof rail difference pic, look here https://gbodyforum.com/threads/going-to-do-a-roof-rail-seal-experiment.60119/#post-510631

Reactions: 2 users

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I had an issue with my El Camino back glass leaking and I removed/resealed myself only to have it leak again. Called a mobile glass guy and he came to my house and resealed it. While he was here, I had him install the Salon back glass. So now the only glass left to install in the Salon is the windshield. Going to recover and install headliner through the windshield opening first though. Did a few small tidbits to the Salon today but nothing worth mentioning.

Reactions: 1 user

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I just polished all my back window trim and attempted to install it. I put on brand new plastic clips but a few just won't grab. The trim lip is not mis shaped either. It makes me appreciate the tri 5 Chevys more because there is no plastic. Pretty frustrated but at least I have not chipped the paint YET taking the trim off and on

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
We had the same problem on my brother's 78 Z28. On his, the slot in the plastic clip is on a diagonal which gives you depth adjustment for the clip. With some fiddling and patience you can get them adjusted to the point where the trim will grab. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I dug through a large tote of G body hardware and smalls. I found 4 steel window clips. They done the trick. I polished my new AC drier and mounted it. My little vacuum can that bolts onto the heater box was faded so I sanded it with 800 grit and painted it with SEM Landau Black. It looks nice and fresh looking. I'm in process of rerouting and plumbing the hvac harness and vacuum lines. The car is actually so close that I will be debuting it at the Claremore Lake car Show put on by Route 66 Cruisers car club. I need to find out the date but it's usually in September. It's a really nice and fairly big outdoor show. Tons of shade trees and has a beautiful view of the lake. This car is not perfect but it's turning out to be a really nice and clean one. People in my neighborhood are stopping by just to check it out. Giving me a glimpse of peoples reactions to an odd ball car. Hopefully I can talk GP403 into coming and checking it out.

Reactions: 2 users

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
If I lived closer, I's like to check it out myself. It sounds like its coming along nicely, and that it will be a clean cool car.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
The deadline is September 24 because of the car show. Pretty confident on making it. Today I put on my final coats of 2K primer on my deck lid, core support, and my scratch built license plate filler panel. Had some tedious shaping and putty work to do on them. I keep putting off painting the remaining body parts because it sucks sanding fillers and primers in this heat and humidity, but after today, it's just about that time. Going to build some trunk floor panels and cover them in carpet. I always hated how you could see the outlined bead of the trunk floor pan through the thin carpet. I'm also going to be building a framed display with misc. brochures, manuals, and a 1978 Oldsmobile color chart. Also have a packaged HotWheels Flat Out 442
salondisplaystuff.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor