HAFRODs 78 Aeroback Salon build

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I've kinda run into a snag. My fan shroud and inner fenders are faded so paint is necessary. My snag is, I'm not sure what kind of paint to use on these plastic parts. It has to be from a spray gun though. It's too hot to try aerosols and don't have the urge for them under the hood. It has to be maybe a matte finish too. Don't want them too shiney or too flat

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I've kinda run into a snag. My fan shroud and inner fenders are faded so paint is necessary. My snag is, I'm not sure what kind of paint to use on these plastic parts. It has to be from a spray gun though. It's too hot to try aerosols and don't have the urge for them under the hood. It has to be maybe a matte finish too. Don't want them too shiney or too flat
I would recommend the SEM color coat that comes in a quart. If i recall you can get it in semi-gloss black. Hopefully others will chime in.
Scott.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I would recommend the SEM color coat that comes in a quart. If i recall you can get it in semi-gloss black. Hopefully others will chime in.
Scott.
That Landau Black does look good.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
What about the Eastwood plastic trim restorer? Not sure if the fiber-impregnated plastic works the same or not...

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I have spent about 2 hours trying to reassemble a cable operated remote drivers mirror. The aero style mirrors I used were from an 88 (I think) Caprice. I used them because of the angle they sit on the Salon doors are correct. The drivers side cable remote Caprice mirror has a short cable and the knob bezel mounts in the upper door panel. One of the three cables were broken so the mirror was floppy. I removed all the cables and gutted my original Salon mirror cables. Had to remove mirror glass to access the three tiny cable clamps. I pushed down on the knob and lodged a very small plier to hold it down. This pushed the tiny cables further out of their sheathes. I used dikes and cut the cable clamps in half. I salvaged the ends of each cable clamp. On the cable clamp halves I used a tiny index drill bit to open the holes on the side the dikes smashed shut. I then fed the cables through and re crimped the clamp halves back on the cables. I pulled out the lodged pliers from the knob and the spring put good and tight tension back on the mirror. It works fantastic and will be the correct length to fit in the G body lower door panel bezel. I ordered a replacement mirror glass so I still have to glue it on. I had removed both mirror glass housings from the mirrors so I could paint the inside of the mirror bodies. I even repainted the screws. A lot more work but did not want paint to start flaking inside the mirrors.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Here is half of one of the tiny cable clamps I was talking about. Had to cut and modify a pair of pliers to crimp them. I reassembled on the bed to not scratch the fresh painted mirror and in case I dropped a clamp halve. Had bifocals on to do this. It's a good thing I was a jeweler for a few years. Lol
salon mirror 2.jpg

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
That mirror does look good on the car. Your patience with assembling the driver's side mirror is fantastic. I'm not sure that I could do something like that.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor