HAFRODs 78 Aeroback Salon build

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayPat83

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2013
Knoxville, TN
I fully understand where you're coming from with that bad back. I'm 30 years old and I have a slipped disc down near my pelvis gets me down every now and then. Keep us posted on the work!!!

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Got my axle bearings changed, new axle seals and installed the axles. Put the cover back on and filled her with GL5. I even put the posi tag on one of the cover bolts. Got my sand blasted rear sway bar painted black and installed. Put on new rear shoes and wheel cylinders. Heck just about everything will be new. I got to build some muffler brackets for my single in - dual out 2 chamber Flowmaster. I'm going to put tail pipes behind the rear tires like a Grand National. Went to local Chevy dealer today and ordered the ball stud that bolts into the engine block for the Z bar. The original 305 is long gone so not keeping that part cost me $20.

SSeabee

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 8, 2013
HAFROD said:
Got my axle bearings changed, new axle seals and installed the axles. Put the cover back on and filled her with GL5. I even put the posi tag on one of the cover bolts. Got my sand blasted rear sway bar painted black and installed. Put on new rear shoes and wheel cylinders. Heck just about everything will be new. I got to build some muffler brackets for my single in - dual out 2 chamber Flowmaster. I'm going to put tail pipes behind the rear tires like a Grand National. Went to local Chevy dealer today and ordered the ball stud that bolts into the engine block for the Z bar. The original 305 is long gone so not keeping that part cost me $20.

Nice attention to detail, sounds great!

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I don't feel like I got much done today but worked on it all day. Got a bunch of small parts blasted and painted. Took my Z bar apart and cleaned all the old grease out and soaked it in gas to clean it completely. I blasted my front coil springs and painted them gloss smoke gray but the color looks like gloss gray primer. I may try to darken it up. My battery box is pretty pitted even after a good blasting. I think I'll use bed coating on it. I had to air hammer off the welded square nut for the hold down. It was cross threaded. I welded on a new nut. I think I'll blast my gas tank and paint it. Its covered in undercoating.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Worked all day long again. Got the coils, spindles, and new shocks installed. I used a set of 85 Monte Carlo SS spindles to get away from the 78 only rotors. Painted my new idler arm semi gloss black and installed it. I had a new set of front rotors with standard studs on my shelf from a past project. They had surface rusted so I blasted them. Got to go get new bearings in the morning. Looks like Monday I have to go buy some new chrome lugnuts and a set of beauty rings. By tomorrow night, it will be rolling again.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Getting closer. Still got the LH rotor, caliper, and both front brake hoses. The old tie rods were still tight so I blasted them, painted them cast with black sleeves, Energy Suspension urethane boots, installed new grade 8 bolts with locking nuts, and new zerk fittings. When the hood is open, these parts will be visible so I wanted it tidy.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Looks great! I have no doubt that this project will be finished -- and finished right.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
clean8485 said:
Car is looking really good-great work. Just curious, what kind of shocks are you putting on the car?
The shocks are the entry level Monroe. I think they were around $15 each. Can't afford high end right now with everything that has to be bought.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Now would be a great time for a quick ratio box upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor