Not open for further replies.

Coveted

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2008
Sanborn, Ny 14132
did gm do this?
like a monte that is vined 79 79 title but the entire body is an 80 style
or any year?
I know alot of the old muscle cars did this, I'm just curious,.

hell GM still does that. it's fun using a snap-on MODIS on them, since you have to input the vin and options. they don't always match.

They did it a number of time, one of the most notable is the '70 1/2 Camaro. It's more in relevance to a late model year introduction.
The model year goes from Sept. thru Aug.
I believe those camaro's were brought out in January of '70 instead of September of '69 like other '70 model year cars.

If you have a Monte that is a 79 on the vin and title, than somebody put an '80 nose on it.

nah i dont have a car personally i was just wondering, because the guy I bought my car off had an 80 monte that looked exactly like my 81, the vins all matched and it was an official title , so i had to ask because I was thinking about buying it

my 79 was built in june of 79 and has an 80 nose

You all are confusing two different issues. All automakers have at one time or another released cars in mid-year. The most famous is probably the 64 1/2 Mustang, but there are many, many others. As automakers have gotten away from the traditional September release of new cars, this has become more confusing but less of an issue.

As for an 87 GN with an 88 build date, that is not legally possible. Automakers are forbidden under federal law from building older design cars in later model years. The requirements on safety, emissions, etc. all require very specific certification for the specific model year. If an automaker were to build a 1987 model car (for example) with an 87 VIN in 1988, that's absolutely against federal law.

Automakers ARE allowed to build newer cars early, however. It is perfectly legal to certify the car to newer and thus more stringent requirements but then sell it in an earlier year. One example that comes to mind is the 1993 Cadillac Allante. Production of the 93 models started in April 1992 (admittedly so the Northstar-powered version could be pace car of the 1992 Indy 500). Same thing happened with the Corvette. There was no 1983 Corvette (thereby missing out on a 30th anniversary issue). Due to the cost of certifying the new C3 models, GM went straight to a 1984 version, but sold it in 1983 also.

joe_padavano said:
As for an 87 GN with an 88 build date, that is not legally possible. Automakers are forbidden under federal law from building older design cars in later model years. The requirements on safety, emissions, etc. all require very specific certification for the specific model year. If an automaker were to build a 1987 model car (for example) with an 87 VIN in 1988, that's absolutely against federal law.

Who`s federal law? Yours or ours?
Car was built in Canada and its not the first one I have heard of.
This one however was special ordered and originally owned by the GM of Canada vice president.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor