HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THIS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

STONEYH

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 25, 2005
Grove City Ohio
Looking in the Jegs catalog, I found the double hump crossmember for G-BODIES. They told me it fits Cutlass but not the Supreme. I called their tech. support and was told that, it would not fit because all Cutlass Supremes had the engine mounted off center, and the cross member would not work. They said regardless of engine that just the Supreme model had an offset mounting. I have never heard of this. Any info?

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
WOW, now this urban legend has progressed from headers to crossmembers? There has NEVER been an "offset engine" in any Cutlass Supreme. Most of the header manufacturers at one time or another has claimed this for headers, but I never heard of it for crossmembers. Either way, it's total BS. Think about it. All G-body frames are the same. Many G-bodies other than Olds used the Olds 307 motor. Are we supposed to believe that the Cutlass Supreme (and not the identical RWD Cutlass wagon) used different motor mounts, exhaust pipes, crossmember, linkage, etc? Sorry, but that's not how GM works. Get the crossmember, it will work fine.

By the way, what is it about Cutlii that aftermarket vendors seem to think the cars are different from other A/G body cars? For example, Stainless Steel Brake Corp charges $100 extra for their Cutlass disc brake conversion kits as compared to Chevelle. Needless to say, I won't be buying from them.

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
HUH!!...... that explains why my '82 Supreme dog-tracks after my swap. :roll:

Buy the crossmember from Jegs. It's where I got mine too. Fits fine & the price beats the H*LL out of Summits price.

hobbes442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 1, 2007
mount vernon,in
crossmember

i have a 88 cutlass supreme classic and i bought a gforce cross member about 6 yrs ago when putting a 355 and 700r4 transmission in . i could not get it to fit in . they took it back . i see now they make it for different trannies. what ever the reason it would not fit in correctly . so when i put duals on , i just notched and welded orginal cross member. works fine ,but the other cross member looked tough.

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Actually, they are partially right - most RWD cars (and all G-bodies) have an offset engine (due to the steering shaft I assume). The engine is offset 1/2" to the PS, making for a 1" difference in measurements to either side. Pay attention to factory cowl and shaker setups - there is an offset built into either the breather or the hood opening to compensate for this.

If you're bored, go out and measure from your carb stud to both fenders - there should be about a 1" difference in the measurements.

That being said it doesn't matter - because a CS is no different than any other G-body...

betsy84

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
if you have a mig welder.....
make a jig with the factory xmember, mark where the duals would go, then cut pieces of 2x3 box steel or something similar for the body of the xmember, and a 8x8 square piece-cut it in half and use each side as where the duals go, weld it all up in the same formation as the factory x member, thats why you made a jig, and bolt in and ur set. Dont forget to gusset where the humps go. Badda bing badda boom you just made a crossmember in your room.

frtend

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2006
Indiana
LOL...easy for you to say betsy!!!

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
85_SS said:
Actually, they are partially right - most RWD cars (and all G-bodies) have an offset engine (due to the steering shaft I assume)...
If you're bored, go out and measure from your carb stud to both fenders - there should be about a 1" difference in the measurements.

That being said it doesn't matter - because a CS is no different than any other G-body...

I don't have that much experience with G-body cars, but I have measured a whole bunch of 64-72 A-bodies (which is where the whole "offset engine" urban myth started) including several 70-72 Supremes, and the engine is exactly centered. There is no offset for steering or anything. Maybe the narrower G-body needed this, but the early cars don't.

BB Olds

Apprentice
Feb 18, 2007
Wi.
frtend said:
LOL...easy for you to say betsy!!!
hey it is not hard i made mine i thank the jegs x member is weak looks to be made cheep.cost $35 for steel and 30 min to weld it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor