Hi speed ac fan wiring burning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rotech

Greasemonkey
Apr 3, 2016
What is the reason that the wire going to the hi speed relay get so hot? I had to re wire the cable separate from the harness with some connectors and they still hot..

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Bad GM design. It shouldn't be hard wired directly into the main circuit like the way it is. They even skipped on a fusible link for it. Atleast put one in, best would be a relay in the circuit. I wish I could explain how to set up a relay but I personally wouldn't know how to do it. One aspect of automotive wiring I don't know enough as I wish.

Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I would look for dirty contacts and grounds.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
GM wouldn't knowingly create a system where it gets that hot that easily. :p Its a dumb setup for sure, but I'm betting there is some very dirty contacts somewhere as CTP stated. The black plug also gets moisture in it VERY easily and mine was so bad it was melted. As well as the resistor plug. Things to snip off at a junkyard, or replace with weatherpak stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
This lends to these cars having shitty wiring, at least mine anyways, maybe mine is a lemon? Maybe my 88 just was overused for the orginal intention of the cars and someone cut a ton of wires to remove the CCC probably didn't help. I had at least 3 badly melted circuits in this car as well as popped two fusible links. As said, almost all G bodies melt this wire or connector. I really need to replace the whole wire, mine still works half *ss.

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
As the electric motors age, the grease gets sticky, and they get harder to spin, which makes the current draw go up and wires get hot. Pull the motor and see if it spins freely, it may need replaced.

Reactions: 6 users

Rotech

Greasemonkey
Apr 3, 2016
how "hot" is it actually getting...... :popcorn:
I have taken it apart from the original connector and installed wire connectors with plastic isolator. But you can see that the plastic is starting to melt. I would like to mention that I have the OEM relay .

Rotech

Greasemonkey
Apr 3, 2016
As the electric motors age, the grease gets sticky, and they get harder to spin, which makes the current draw go up and wires get hot. Pull the motor and see if it spins freely, it may need replaced.
That makes sense..

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Look for a connector near by that has a heavy red wire and some green ones. See if the red wire is burned there. If it is by pass the connector. Wiring getting hot is to much current draw. If connections good probably an aging blower motor or not sufficient current and voltage to relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor