Hi speed ac fan wiring burning

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Can you show me a picture of that steel barrel your referring please..
I am not near my electrical connectors at the moment but they are plated steel "butt/crimp connectors" without the plastic outer cover. I buy them in bags of 100 from Del City. They sell them is a bunch of different diameters for different wire gauges.

Reactions: 1 user

Rotech

Greasemonkey
Apr 3, 2016
I am not near my electrical connectors at the moment but they are plated steel "butt/crimp connectors" without the plastic outer cover. I buy them in bags of 100 from Del City. They sell them is a bunch of different diameters for different wire gauges.
Ok , I know what you mean.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
If/when a wire gets hot, there is something wrong. 1st thing to do is blame the engineers! 2nd thing to do is check connectors for corrosion (clean out and reinstall for good contact) 3rd thing is to check harness for the last expert that "fixed" what the engineers did wrong. (that is usually the problem! Hope this helps since Ii haven't been helpful. I use electrical contact cleaner (spray) on all my connectors.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

if you are going to join the wires permanantly why not replace the whole wire so it's one piece...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
a spade connector will not build up resistance if it is crimped properly and no solder is added.. :popcorn:

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
if you are going to join the wires permanantly why not replace the whole wire so it's one piece...
Because there was nothing wrong with the wire except the fubard connection. It's not seen on either of my cars. On the Buick its down between the right side inner fender and the blower box. On the Malibu its inside the corrugated conduit. The Buick has been like that for 20 years now.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
a spade connector will not build up resistance if it is crimped properly and no solder is added.. :popcorn:
I will have to disagree with you on that. Have you ever worked on any 86-93 Fords with the 2G alternator that has the side connector spades? That connector contained the power feeds and would build up resistance and melt the plugs and occasionally cause fires. It was such a great design that Ford went back to bolt on power connections on the 3G and later alternators.
The late model GM trucks from 99-06 had the same issue with the blower resistor. The spades were too small and would over heat and melt the plug and the plastic resistor housing. I used to solder the wires directly to the power and ground terminals on those and never have the issue again. Been wrenching for a living for a long time. Spades have their place, but high amperage power feeds (or even the ground side) circuits are terrible for them. Why do you think almost every alternator out there uses a bolt on terminal for the power feeds?

Last edited:

Rotech

Greasemonkey
Apr 3, 2016
I crimped the cables firmly for sure. There only 2 possiblity, either the relay contacts or the blower itself drawing to much current, in my opinion... any one know how much current the blowers draws?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor