Hi speed ac fan wiring burning

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have taken it apart from the original connector and installed wire connectors with plastic isolator. But you can see that the plastic is starting to melt. I would like to mention that I have the OEM relay .

that is hot....like old 307 and 403 mentioned the wire gm used isn't be best and the wire itself may be corroded building up resistance.... :popcorn:

Rotech

Greasemonkey
Apr 3, 2016
Look for a connector near by that has a heavy red wire and some green ones. See if the red wire is burned there. If it is by pass the connector. Wiring getting hot is to much current draw. If connections good probably an aging blower motor or not sufficient current and voltage to relay
I understand that a aging motor can draw current, but how can a relay cause current draw? That red cable is to source the motor thru the relay?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
So what's the best procedure to correct this?

I would temporarly bypass that wire with a new wire to see if that cures the problem, if it doesn't at least you narrowed down your search

Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I understand that a aging motor can draw current, but how can a relay cause current draw? That red cable is to source the motor thru the relay?
Make sure you have battery voltage to the relay when the fan is on high

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Spade connectors are not always a great connection for high amperage power wires. The GM/Packard 56 terminals are also not weather tight. Being mounted in the engine compartment doesn't make the connections stay clean for very long. They build up a lot of resistance and eventually melt the connector.
I have been clipping that red wire out of the connectors on all of my A/G bodies and using a plated steel barrel that I solder and shrink tube the wires. It is never a problem again once I do that.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
My first Malibu had that 4 wire connector melted to the point where it became intermittent, and it was only 10 years old at the time.

Rotech

Greasemonkey
Apr 3, 2016
Spade connectors are not always a great connection for high amperage power wires. The GM/Packard 56 terminals are also not weather tight. Being mounted in the engine compartment doesn't make the connections stay clean for very long. They build up a lot of resistance and eventually melt the connector.
I have been clipping that red wire out of the connectors on all of my A/G bodies and using a plated steel barrel that I solder and shrink tube the wires. It is never a problem again once I do that.
Can you show me a picture of that steel barrel your referring please..

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor