Hi speed ac fan wiring burning

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
The name of the mfgr is part of the picture. Item itself is probably made off shore. Old school North America holds to the convention that red is positive or "hot" and black is ground but be careful here. The cars we use and work with also use the negative ground convention as in positive or hot/red goes to the positive side of the battery and black/negative goes to the negative side. This was not always the case. As late as the fifties, prior to 12v batteries becoming common, certain mfgrs still offered cars fitted with positive grounds, not negatives. Although much older than that, my buddies' Model A is still a great example. On it the positive cable from the battery gets attached to the frame and the negative cable from the battery goes to the starter stud. Which is better has been an ongoing bench racing subject for decades, but those who do switch to the negative ground typically report easier starting and fewer wiring problems.

I mention all this simply because red, although most common, is not the exclusive color for a positive wire. In my late model truck, I've found black is usually the ground but discovered that positive can be red but can also be orange.

As for the colors of the wires, I am on board with the notion that red for positive and black for negative as the default or common colors to be used does make fabricating a wiring harness substantially simpler. However what we prefer is not necessarily a global convention and other nations might be used to different combinations or just don't give a FRA how it is done over here. Also what we accept as convention is exclusive to the automotive genre. Ask an electrician, any electrician, what is hot and what is not and the colors will be totally different. Any electricians on the site who might care to comment further?

Nick

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Oh, yeah, if I did acquire a socket wired according to the picture, it is an easy matter to slip the spade female ends out of their pockets and move them to end up with a more common and friendlier configuration.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Oh, yeah, if I did acquire a socket wired according to the picture, it is an easy matter to slip the spade female ends out of their pockets and move them to end up with a more common and friendlier configuration.

I have used those but I just use the housing, I don't use the cheap wire and connectors you get with those. All my eletrical connectors are Gates

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
If'n anyone needs a 4-wire connector to replace that melty one under there....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=381822347225
My current fix is using weather packs with correct size terminals running a three port for the light wires & a single tied into a 30 amp fuse (will be either a weather proof ATO or Maxi if I get things figured out on my fusible link to Maxi conversion figured out) to add what GM left out. A suggestion to everyone is to put a 30 amp fuse in a weather proof holder to help prevent future melt downs.

Reactions: 1 users

Steve C

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 12, 2017
My Fan seems to run all the time. I replaced the motor because it was running hot and it helped. But I need to find out way the fan runs even when the switch is in the off position.
P.S. I replaced the relay as well.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
My Fan seems to run all the time. I replaced the motor because it was running hot and it helped. But I need to find out way the fan runs even when the switch is in the off position.
P.S. I replaced the relay as well.
Yep. They run all the time. Do a search here, and you find multiple people concerned about the same nothing.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor