Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Reactions: 1 user

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
first thing I thought of when "terminator x" lol....

...now back to your regular scheduled thread

Reactions: 1 user

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I haven't read any of this yet but I will let people know what my experience has been with stock LS ECM/HPtuners has been. HPt software is 500, modified wire harness is 250ish, payed a local tuner to Dyno/tune it after I couldn't figure it out and was ready to go play in traffic, 900 bones. I've looked into self learning systems or something that is a little more user friendly than my current setup if only to maintain sanity. I could replicate my setup for significantly less than the $1600 I have in it but at what cost?

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I haven't read any of this yet but I will let people know what my experience has been with stock LS ECM/HPtuners has been. HPt software is 500, modified wire harness is 250ish, payed a local tuner to Dyno/tune it after I couldn't figure it out and was ready to go play in traffic, 900 bones. I've looked into self learning systems or something that is a little more user friendly than my current setup if only to maintain sanity. I could replicate my setup for significantly less than the $1600 I have in it but at what cost?

$999... or $1399 with an electronic trans.

A pretty low cost.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
I'm curious to see more about the software. I changed injectors from stock to 210s, updated 3 cells in the generic tune and my car fired up. Holley has a pretty slick setup, if you are doing anything other than a basic motor swap this is the way to go.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I have a Holley Dominator system for one of my cars. It is just loaded with features. But it was not cheap once you buy the box ($1600) and then buy the other peripherals. It gets expensive. It's nice to see Holley stepping up with a pretty much turn key, low cost system like that.
Of course, its only a matter of time before the Megasquirt guys copy it and try to sell a similar set up for $200 (this is sarcasm btw)

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I have a Holley Dominator system for one of my cars. It is just loaded with features. But it was not cheap once you buy the box ($1600) and then buy the other peripherals. It gets expensive. It's nice to see Holley stepping up with a pretty much turn key, low cost system like that.
Of course, its only a matter of time before the Megasquirt guys copy it and try to sell a similar set up for $200 (this is sarcasm btw)

This has already happened with HP Tuners - one of the founders left and allegedly leaked proprietary info to a competitor who cracked their software and eliminated the credit system. I also just learned that there is a cracked version of HP Tuners that has been available for about a year. These factors plus new developments from Holley and others like LSDroid is going to force HP Tuners to rethink their business model in part or in whole.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida
I should have mine next week :D

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Meh, I've been down the road of "stand alone aftermarket systems" and won't do it again. I used Accel's system for my LT1 swap years ago now can't get parts or support for it. I see a lot of people trying to justify spending $1,000 on the Holley system but in reality you can't beat the factory hardware for cost, reliability and sourcing parts. I've done a 3 now using a factory ECM and harness for $545 or less. You can also buy used HP tuner packages quite reasonably ($500 or less). Next step for me is likely to learn the software.

1) Junk yard GM harness and ECM $45
2) Learn how to make your own harness - FREE
3) Base tune from local speedshop - $250
4) (Optional) Dyno tune after everything is buttoned up $250

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Meh, I've been down the road of "stand alone aftermarket systems" and won't do it again. I used Accel's system for my LT1 swap years ago now can't get parts or support for it. I see a lot of people trying to justify spending $1,000 on the Holley system but in reality you can't beat the factory hardware for cost, reliability and sourcing parts. I've done a 3 now using a factory ECM and harness for $545 or less. You can also buy used HP tuner packages quite reasonably ($500 or less). Next step for me is likely to learn the software.

1) Junk yard GM harness and ECM $45
2) Learn how to make your own harness - FREE
3) Base tune from local speedshop - $250
4) (Optional) Dyno tune after everything is buttoned up $250

Add 1 power adder to that and the Holley is more than competitive. I don't think it's for the basic swap cruiser car, but if you want to go fast or make big power it's really competitive.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor