holley vs q-jet

which do you think is the best overall carb?

• q-jet

Votes: 126 55.8%
  • holley

Votes: 71 31.4%
  • edelbrock

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • demon/barry grant

Votes: 9 4.0%
  • carter

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
X2 what autonaut said. :popcorn:

Reactions: 1 user
D

DanglingFury

I feel like the phrase "bring it on" was taken a bit too seriously (much like almost anything on the Internet, especially forums.) That was meant to be sarcastic. I'm not trying to sell anything to anyone, and I'm not trying to be a hero. I Talk about carburetors all day. I'm constantly surrounded by people who are obviously biased to that particular brand. I'm not trying to promote anything. I just want to talk about carburetors.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm not biased, we ran holly on all our circle track cars, I ran the Holley version of a spread bore for 2 months but had problem with it since the first day I put it on.I have never had a carb apart so often as I did that piece of junk.That spread bore carb has a design flaw but Holley would not give any of my $750 back. I gave that carb to a friend who has a Holley on everything he drives and he was going to pay me for the carb is he could get it to run right. He returned to carb to me. I ran my Quadrajet until last summer and changed to a Holley to stop the race car owner from bugging me about running a Holley on my street car. I ran the Avenger 670 last summer. The gas milage was not as good as my Quadrajet but not that much different to really matter. The Holley was little quicker off the line but I don't dragg race but on the highway the Avenger sucked compared to my Quadrajet. I am now back to my Quadrajet and happy. For those who think the Quadrajet is complicated buy a good book and educate yourself on the Quadrajet. Don't read bits of information or watch homemade videos online and expect to gain the knowledge to work on a Quadrajet.

D

DanglingFury

I agree. Although I like Holley products, that wasn't a real smart move on your part as a representative of the company. Instead of gaining future Holley customers, you've succeeded in pissing off potential consumers and actually did the company a disservice in the process. It's not what you said, but how you went about it.
Hopefully you're man enough to admit you made a mistake and will learn from it. An apology to the members you offended wouldn't hurt either.
If I have offended anyone, I certainly did not ever have that intention. I apologize if I have said something to anyone that offended them.

I'm not on here to represent the company. All I'm interested is friendly discussion as a private individual.

D

DanglingFury

I'm not biased, we ran holly on all our circle track cars, I ran the Holley version of a spread bore for 2 months but had problem with it since the first day I put it on.I have never had a carb apart so often as I did that piece of junk.That spread bore carb has a design flaw but Holley would not give any of my $750 back. I gave that carb to a friend who has a Holley on everything he drives and he was going to pay me for the carb is he could get it to run right. He returned to carb to me. I ran my Quadrajet until last summer and changed to a Holley to stop the race car owner from bugging me about running a Holley on my street car. I ran the Avenger 670 last summer. The gas milage was not as good as my Quadrajet but not that much different to really matter. The Holley was little quicker off the line but I don't dragg race but on the highway the Avenger sucked compared to my Quadrajet. I am now back to my Quadrajet and happy. For those who think the Quadrajet is complicated buy a good book and educate yourself on the Quadrajet. Don't read bits of information or watch homemade videos online and expect to gain the knowledge to work on a Quadrajet.
Those spread bore Holleys are a bit of a different breed than the rest of them. I've heard from people that love them and hate them. 90% of the time it ends up being that they just need a little tweaking. Providing there's nothing actually wrong with the carburetor there is no reason that it can't be tuned to run just fine, as long as the engine it's on is moving enough air through it.

As far as gas mileage on a street avenger VS a q-jet. That doesn't surprise me. I'll admit, the smaller primaries on the q-jets contribute to them being a very responsive and economical carburetor on a street car.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That Holley speadbore needed more than tweaking, that Holley was a piece of junk. Holley techs couldn't even figure it out.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
A carburetor is a carburetor, if it is installed, set up, and tuned properly it will run properly. The problem is there are too many carb experts out there that think they know what they are doing only to create problems. Another factor is the application the carb is being used for to compare apples to apples. I'm a racer & use an APD that performs flawless. If it was installed on a street car they would probably say it's a POS. I guess what I'm trying to say that there is no overall best, it comes down to application and personal preference. How many of you guys tune w/ wide band

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
To original question. It all depends on eng drive line and how its used.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
A carburetor is a carburetor, if it is installed, set up, and tuned properly it will run properly. The problem is there are too many carb experts out there that think they know what they are doing only to create problems. Another factor is the application the carb is being used for to compare apples to apples. I'm a racer & use an APD that performs flawless. If it was installed on a street car they would probably say it's a POS. I guess what I'm trying to say that there is no overall best, it comes down to application and personal preference. How many of you guys tune w/ wide band

Up from the grave!!!..;)....Last post was April 2015 but I agree. I've always wanted to tune my Q-Jet with a wide band but ended up taking the jump to LS power with EFI. There is a lot to be gained with real time data.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I'm sorry I didn't realize this was an old post - I'm sure I answered it from the latest post???

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor