holley vs q-jet

which do you think is the best overall carb?

• q-jet

Votes: 126 55.8%
  • holley

Votes: 71 31.4%
  • edelbrock

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • demon/barry grant

Votes: 9 4.0%
  • carter

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
VE is volumetric efficiency
sorry, but carbs dont have any magical tuning buttons. But modding a q-jet for morethe HP is pretty simple. Or you can send it tp a good shop for them to rebuild.
If you do it yourself,i highly recommend cliff ruggles book on the subject. You can also buy the rebuild kit from cliff--he'll customize it with the right parts for your motor.
if you send it out i still recommend cliff ruggles.

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
im pretty sure the previous owner had the carb recently rebuilt. it looks clean and has a fresh looking tag on it. ive only owned this vehicle for a couple months and most of that it was parked so i dont know all the details on it just yet. are there any vaccum lines i can disconnect that might be robbing horsepower? i couldnt care less about emmisions...

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
cutlassguy said:
im pretty sure the previous owner had the carb recently rebuilt. it looks clean and has a fresh looking tag on it. ive only owned this vehicle for a couple months and most of that it was parked so i dont know all the details on it just yet. are there any vaccum lines i can disconnect that might be robbing horsepower? i couldnt care less about emmisions...

Disabling the emissions system usually causes a loss in power, not a gain. So unless you really know what you are doing, don't disable anything.

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
nope i dont know enough about that stuff to really know what im doing. back in the day a mechanic buddy of mine helped me take a bunch of "un-necessary" vaccum lines off and we basically had maybe 5-8 direct vaccum lines (without the little booster things or whateve they're called) on a 305. cant really remember if it made any difference performance wise but it did run pretty good so i assumed most of that "extra" stuff was crap thats just robbing my motor of power.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Emissions system robbing HP is an old wives tale, forget you ever heard it. One of the vacuum lines opens a valve in the exhaust. Disconnect that line, then the valve never opens and your exhaust will always be choked. Disconnect the vacuum line to the MAP sensor, then the ECM has no idea how much vacuum the engine is pulling and goes into limp mode. Disconnect the line to the EGR valve, then you will get trouble codes and spark knock, etc.

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
When I installed a 305 H/O in my 78 El Camino, I used a great working 600 cfm Holley. The wife and I went for a run. Then I installed a Q-jet and even the wife could tell the Quadrajet just out performed the small holley especially from 4000rpm to 5600rpm where the holley fell flat. So I`m building a Q-jet for the El Camino and the Holley`s on the 79 Malibu with a LG4 where it still runs flat at 4000 RPM but thats where those motor go flat anyways.

Doug

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

billcox

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 20, 2012
Just put a 4150 650 double pumper on my car and I can't get it to quit pouring gas from the fuel line on the carb. Any one have any idea what is causing this? I have already checked to make sure everything was tight even put the special gas proof tape on the threads. I'm lost.

iameggor

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2011
Montana
how about the AED "holley" carb;) I love holley's for the performance. Would never put a edelbrock on my car. That is my 2 cents, but I just received my AED 850 HO just yesterday and I am loving it so far:)

Attachments

• IMG_0076.jpg
    IMG_0076.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 636

1983regal

Master Mechanic
May 2, 2011
St. Louis MO.
billcox said:
Just put a 4150 650 double pumper on my car and I can't get it to quit pouring gas from the fuel line on the carb. Any one have any idea what is causing this? I have already checked to make sure everything was tight even put the special gas proof tape on the threads. I'm lost.

There should be crush washers on the fitting in the carb not teflon tape. Fuel will eat teflon tape, only other thing you can use is a liquid thread sealer design for fuel systems.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
1983regal said:
bill cox said:

There should be crush washers on the fitting in the carb not teflon tape. Fuel will eat teflon tape, only other thing you can use is a liquid thread sealer design for fuel systems.
We used to be able to buy a bag of assorted tapered seat copper washers for flared fuel fittings.
At The local speed shop. I used to get two of them with every fuel filter I changed at the Caddy dealer I worked at.

Attachments

• imagesCA3N8NVL.jpg
    imagesCA3N8NVL.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 580

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor